Cheap GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kb0nly

Nothing to it, just make up an adapter or chop the cable then install a DB9 and a pigtail for power. They require 5v. Quite a few hams using them for APRS trackers.

If you don't want to do it yourself here is a website that sells a Serial and USB adapter cable for it.

http://www.laststopoutpost.com/item.asp?itemid=99

Attachments

• br355_pin_connector_table.jpg
    br355_pin_connector_table.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
K

kb0nly

The SiRF III is the best one out there so far... My TomTom has the same chipset. Always impressed how fast it gets a lock and how good of reception it reports in the worst locations.

CompuDoc

The SiRF III is the best one out there so far... My TomTom has the same chipset. Always impressed how fast it gets a lock and how good of reception it reports in the worst locations.

My Garmin has the same chipset. It also has blue tooth as well as an FM traffic receiver with a lifetime subscription. I could be sitting at a light under an overpass and still get satellite reception.

K

kb0nly

My Garmin has the same chipset. It also has blue tooth as well as an FM traffic receiver with a lifetime subscription. I could be sitting at a light under an overpass and still get satellite reception.

My TomTom gets a lock and 8 satellites in my basement, thats impressive!

pogbobo

Got to any store selling electronics and buy a USB to cig power adapter. USB is 5v.

Justin

that did cross my mind at first, I was just hoping for a more elegant solution i guess :cool: maybe a purpose built cable or adapter meant for 12v car plug --> ps/2 for power

thanks tho

K

kb0nly

Find an old cell phone cord at a dollar store or thrift store... A lot of them are 5v or less. These GPS units usually have a range of 3-8v that they will work off of. So its fairly easy to find an cig power cord to chop.

K

kb0nly

I don't see how you are suppose to use this with your scanner. It only has the usb end???

Actually the GPS has a PS2 type end, then you buy the appropriate adapter, USB or Serial, for your use. Or chop off the PS2 plug and install a DB9.

Status
Not open for further replies.