Cheap knock-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

How do you get Ebay_ to care about obviously bogus frauds like this?
Original Motorola SMP 908 Mobile Radio VHF DTMF 136 174Mhz Truck Car Transceiver | eBay
I sent a message to the seller of that item and it goes a little something like this...

1.)
Dear solidradio,

You're selling this as a Motorola_ branded radio but I do not see the SMP908 anywhere on the Motorola website.
Is this a genuine Motorola_?

2.)
Dear (me),

Yes, it is 100% genuine Motorola_ radio.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Thanks and regards,
Alex
Customer Services Department

3.)
Dear solidradio,

Can you please let me know where I can find more information about it? I searched the Motorola_ website and couldn't find it. Do you have a link to it on the Motorola_ website?

4.)
Dear (me),

Please see this link:

Motorola SMP-908 Product Reviews

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Thanks and regards,
Alex
Customer Services Department

5.)
Dear solidradio,

That is not a motorola_. You are misrepresenting the item.

6.)
Dear solidradio,

I noticed you are still selling the item as a Motorola_ even though it's not.
Why are you deceiving your customers? Is fraud legal in Hong Kong?

7.)
Dear solidradio,

I haven't heard back from you. Have the local authorities thrown you into a roach infested prison and caned you?

In case you're wondering, I put the _after certain words to keep the links from showing up for non-ad-blocked browsers.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I sent a message to the seller of that item and it goes a little something like this...
Instead of doing that you could select the "Report Item" link and advise eBay of the issue. That will actually assist them in protecting potential buyers of the product.

rapidcharger

Instead of doing that you could select the "Report Item" link and advise eBay of the issue. That will actually assist them in protecting potential buyers of the product.

Oh I used to do that but I gave up.
See there's no option on the drop down menu for counterfeit / bull**** anymore.
There used to be but I think they realized they were making money on stuff like this so they made it impossible to report it now. And in the past when I have reported using other options, such as those fake icoms, they never got taken down.

Besides, I'm not really a fan of motorola) so they can protect their own reputation and intellectual property if they wish.
Or not.
I could care less either way.

DPD1

Somebody must have made a dent, because I don't see 'Motorola' on there now. They also list it as made in China.

SCPD

QRT
Somebody must have made a dent, because I don't see 'Motorola' on there now. They also list it as made in China.

Dave I think you're looking at my link in the (now new) thread... the Motorola issue was from RapidCharger's post.

rapidcharger

Hey! They used to just make a counterfeit motoroola! It looked just like the real thing. The ads would always say something to the effect of "95% new!" which of course means 100% used and then they'd mark it as a new/ in box item.

I guess they're getting lazy. Or they realize they can say it's a motootorla even though it isn't and people will buy it anyway!

Just in case it does get changed, here's the image...

Attachments

• fakemotorola.jpg
    fakemotorola.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,636

DPD1

You would think Motorola would actually have SOMETHING to say.

KD8DVR

You CAN report item.

First box "Copyright and Trademark"

Next drop down, select "Counterfeit item....."

Next box, "Counterfeit, fake, or Replica items"

Then elaborate on this in text box and fire away.

Item reported.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You would think Motorola would actually have SOMETHING to say.

Motorola Solutions could care less.

They don't care about people selling pirated copies of CPS, complete garbage ALT/development/product sample APX and trash can salvaged XTS/XTL radios being masqueraded as "seller refurbished" on BROKENSTOLENCOUNTERFEITRADIOS.COM aka ebay. Dozens of these dangerous and intentionally misrepresented products are on that site as I write this. Motorola is fully aware of these radios, which if used in public safety, are an accident (and lawsuit) waiting to happen. Guess what. They're still there. Same scummy sellers, same garbage pail radios.

This is the same company who "gave away" APX CPS to anyone with a valid MOL account for 4 years, took it away- then put it back when all their NON PAYING freeloaders complained.

What makes you think they give two Hershey squirts about some Chinese knockoff maker using their name on some turdy plastic crap radio?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Ebay doesn't do anything with the "Reports", they make a commission off of everything sold. I have reported dozens of "illegal" items, then "watched" it until it ends, and none were ended early.

They would rather let the item sell, get their commission, then handle the occasional complaint from the buyer, where they can then deduct the money from the seller's account, and still keep their commission.

I use Ebay a lot but you have to be careful, check the feedbacks and never buy from overseas.

I bough a football jersey once that was supposed to be NWT but was obviously used, and... it just happened to come from a county where I used to be a deputy. Well, I dropped a few names and low and behold they returned my money, in full, and told me to keep the item.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

They would rather let the item sell, get their commission, then handle the occasional complaint from the buyer, where they can then deduct the money from the seller's account, and still keep their commission..

In order to get your money back, first you have to send back the counterfeit item at your expense and if it's going to china or hong kong, I assure you it will cost many times more to ship the radio to them than it cost them to ship it to you via hongkong mail e-packet. More than the item cost.

And in the case of thieves that steal your money and never ship you anything, paybay still holds on to your money for 11 days after they ACCEPT your complaint. Remember, that's a process in and of itself that can take several days because they want you to try to resolve with the thief. I mean seller.

rapidcharger

You CAN report item.

First box "Copyright and Trademark"

Next drop down, select "Counterfeit item....."

Next box, "Counterfeit, fake, or Replica items"

Then elaborate on this in text box and fire away.

Item reported.

Thanks for reporting it. It sounds like they changed the process since the last time I tried.
Never the less, the fake motorla is still there and not only that, they have sold two more since I posted. Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that it was someone who read this thread that bought one?

lep

Many Motorola low-end radios are manufactured in the Far East. A Motorola engineer from Schamburg, IL who is a good friend was posted to an Asian facility as a manager to handle QC matters. Another friend, not an engineer but an international copyright lawyer (not with Motorola but another firm) had an assignment of working with international police agencies about "copyright violations", it is a common and difficult problem to control, let's say US maker of brand A makes a deal with Hong Kong (recall that is China now) maker B to make 1,000 units of brand A but actually makes 2,000 units and keeps the extra 1,000 and dumps that into the market place. *In the example I cite they were made in the same factory they are "counterfeit" legally but MIGHT work as well as they official units, they have a high profit margin and if directly imported might have a phony serial and/or model number to try and add a little extra protection of the original source. It is too simplistic to think nobody cares but if the can't stop narcotic smuggling imagine how hard it is to stop $200 radios!

Status
Not open for further replies.