Cheap mobile/base scanner supporting Alpha Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpslusser

Whats a good cheap mobile/base scanner that is PC programmable, and supports ID tags. It doesn't need trunking, cuz they don't use trunking in my area. I Live in luzerne/columbia county PA.

af5rn

There really is no such animal. The closest thing is the Uniden BCT-15, which runs anywhere between $219.95 to $269.95 delivered, depending on how good a shopper you are. There is no non-trunking scanner with alpha tags.

dpslusser

There really is no such animal. The closest thing is the Uniden BCT-15, which runs anywhere between $219.95 to $269.95 delivered, depending on how good a shopper you are. There is no non-trunking scanner with alpha tags.

It doesn't matter if it has trunking or not. All I was saying is im not worried about trunking.

I just picked up a PRO 99 handheld and my local radioshack for 10 bucks, and it supports Alpha tags. I just wish I could find a Base scanner instead.

DELCOLHFC

Look around for a cheap used RadioShack Pro-2055, ebay always has some. They do have an issue with some radio's display going out but thats an easy fix. They are pretty decent recievers and they support 16 character alpha tags.

N8IAA

Look around for a cheap used RadioShack Pro-2055, ebay always has some. They do have an issue with some radio's display going out but thats an easy fix. They are pretty decent recievers and they support 16 character alpha tags.
Radio shack has the Pro-163 that makes an ideal base scanner. Software is Win97, programming cable is RS part# 20-047. Alphatags for the bank and the frequency.
Larry

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Uniden's older BC9000-XLT supported alpha-tags. It did not have a computer interface, and required you to enter the tags manually though convoluted manipulations of the keypad/tuning knob, but it worked.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
can't really think of any base/mobile scanners with alpha tags that are NOT alpha tagging, older radio shack Pro-2067 (mobile) Pro-2053 (base), you can usually grab between 50 to 85$ used...

I myself have been looking at finding the cheapest base scanner that has everything but p25 capability (the part that makes a radio expensive due to licensing costs).

The PSR-400 seems to be the best choice. It does it all except for p25 and has alpha tags and trunks, about $200 shipped.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-92 & PRO-95 support alpha tagging and programming via computer (freeware), but also do trunking and have no related base models. The PRO-97/PRO-2055 are cheap, easy to find, both use WIN97, and do everything the 1st two models I mentioned do (and more). If you're not in a hurry I know you can find the PRO-97 or PRO-2055 for $100 or less through sales, discounts and other means.

The 2055 is ok if you don't really need a working display. Reading the reviews on RS's own website almost every person reviewing lost their display after a period of time ranging from 4 hours to days. For another $40 you could buy the PSR-400 which doesn't have this issue.

SAR923

The PRO-92 & PRO-95 support alpha tagging and programming via computer (freeware), but also do trunking and have no related base models.

If I'm not mistaken, the PRO-2067 is the base/mobile version of the PRO-92. They are usually available on e-bay for less than $80. I'm not aware of any inexpensive base/mobile scanner that has alpha tags but doesn't do trunking. If you only need conventional scanning, the 2067 is a good deal for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.