• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap Mobile with 2-Tone Decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4rez

What are my options for cheap (preferably < $100) PC-programmable VHF high band mobile radios with 2-tone decoders?

Right now I'm looking at the Vertex VX-3000V. Would prefer something from Kenwood or Icom, though.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Kenwood TK-760G, if you don't need splinter channels, they do narrowband just fine just not the splinters. You can find them for around $50-60. Even less depending on who is selling.

Or a TK-762G, updated version of the above. Programs with Windows based KPG verus DOS, better display, more channels. I have picked them up for $75-90.

Both do 2 tone decode like a boss.

I would also say the Icom IC-F520, but they aren't that cheap. Most of those sell for $125 or more. Bulletproof radios though. And they look good.

w4rez

These all look to fit the bill nicely. Do you know offhand if they actually alert when receiving tones or do they just open squelch?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
These all look to fit the bill nicely. Do you know offhand if they actually alert when receiving tones or do they just open squelch?

The Kenwood's can be programmed to sound an alert, followed by audio.

Not sure about the 520/620, I have a 620 in service. I don't use 2-tone for anything, but I would be glad to program up a channel for decode, and then set it off with one of my CP-200XLS' and see how it behaves.

cabletech

It has been a while since I set one up but a Icom 50xx/60xx can do 2 tone/5tone/mdc and I belive it has the ablity in the program to turn on/off alert for those tones.

A new radio is less then $500 and you have much more ablity and a warrenty to go with it.

And over 300 channels w/scann

Status
Not open for further replies.