Cheap single channel VHF receivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davef3138

Feed Provider
I'm looking for the most cost-effective way to set up a few dedicated receivers on some local VHF frequencies, specifically for two-tone decoding.

The ideas that come to mind first are old scanners (maybe even crystal based) or old commercial VHF radios. Also thought about modding NOAA weather receivers, but haven't really looked into that. I've briefly searched for hobby kits that might do the trick, but didn't come up with much.

Does anyone have any other good ideas?

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
With the 2013 narrowbanding deadline headed our way you should be able to pick up surplus programmable commercial mobile radios cheaply. The hard part would be picking and choosing to find ones with two tone decode.

PM me if you need further.

Skooter92

Premium Subscriber
Alerting receivers

If you're just looking to have tone alert capability, for home/station use, how about some used Minitors tuned to your freq/tones? Leave in the charging base, or get an amplified charger base. Alternatively, I've installed these for a couple of clients: Alert Features These work well with either the supplied or an external antenna, and can also activate doors/lights/horns/coffee pots. I tend to stay away from Plectrons, as parts/repair can be tricky to get.

davef3138

Feed Provider
It's funny how that Veetronix alert receiver is just a Uniden 350/550 with it's front panel removed, I wonder if Uniden authorizes that?

I'd actually rather have the PC do the tone decoding. The software I'm playing with lets you define the tone pairs along with email addresses to send the alerts/recorded audio to. Very slick.

jasinqc

Feed Provider
Scanners

Hi, I'd look at picking up some yard sale / craig's list scanners. They should be cheap and perfect for your application.

What is the software that you are using for tone decode and email alerting?

Regards,

Joe

mancow

Database Admin
If narrow banding isn't an issue you might look into the old Bendix/King LMH-3142 series. They are 14 channel, scan, priority and face programmable and can be had for almost nothing.

Kfred

single channel

I agree with using the Bendix King radio, I use an old handheld in my vehicle as a scanner with an LM317 voltage regulator to power it off the cigerette lighter plug. I have used a G.E. progress line receiver as a single channel receiver, was easy to get going using a voltage reg to get 10 volts and two variable resistors for vol and sq. used the big crystals but had no tones. kfred

Status
Not open for further replies.