BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Cheap Tablet for Running Sentinel? Or alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royldean

My windows solution for programming my 436 has evaporated - and my only other computer is Ubuntu based (sentinel will run in wine, but the usb ports won't connect to the scanner).

Any other solution for programming my 436? I was thinking of buying one of the $100 windows tablets, not sure if that will work. Any other way to interface with the scanner with an ubuntu operating system (i need to be able to update the master database as well as install firmware updates and edit favorite lists).

racingfan360

As a reference point, I have no issues running Sentinel on a Win10 Acer Iconia One (albeit that I do this infrequently - I tend to use ARC536PRO a lot more than Sentinel).

royldean

Thanks for the feedback. I also remembered that my wife has a very capable surface pro.... Typically I am hands off of that thing, but maybe I can convince her to let me install one bitty piece of software...

MasterBasher

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback. I also remembered that my wife has a very capable surface pro.... Typically I am hands off of that thing, but maybe I can convince her to let me install one bitty piece of software...

Go for it. I use a Surface Pro 4 to program both my 436 and a 536 that is mounted in the truck.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i have used a cheap HP tablet running windows 8, with a USB OTG dongle to make a quick programming change on mine. It was all i had at the moment, and it was a pain trying to do it with the on screen keyboard, but it worked.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
A $99 WinBook (with Win10) from MicroCenter works great. Also works great with ProScan, EZScan, and the various WinXXX software I own,

scosgt

A $99 WinBook (with Win10) from MicroCenter works great. Also works great with ProScan, EZScan, and the various WinXXX software I own,

I have a bunch of them. Use as a remote head. Because of the full size USB port.
But they are no longer made, you have to find a working one someplace. They don't have bitlocker so drivers are no problem win 8 or 10.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I have a bunch of them. Use as a remote head. Because of the full size USB port.
But they are no longer made, you have to find a working one someplace. They don't have bitlocker so drivers are no problem win 8 or 10.

Oh, that's a shame that they no longer make the WinBook. It was a great little tablet for the price. I used mine to run DSD+ before I picked up my 10" Lenovo tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.