Cheapest/best kid scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

What would be a good/best HH scanner for a kid, definitely under $50? The Baofeng forum is for transcievers, which is OK because I could disable transmit. I would like to import data from RR with free software (chirp?). Are any of the 5R flavors better? I see there's aBF88 and 888 but I don't know how they scan. One thing I REALLY hate about my UV82 is the horrendous squelch tail, even when using PL.
Strictly analog VHF UHF.

nd5y

None of them are better unless the one you happened to buy was a return or factory reject.

This page has details on how the 888 scans. It doesn't say how fast. Probably the same slow rate as the others.

You can't do anything about the squelch tail unless the station you are listening to uses DCS or is another Chinese radio that has the 55 Hz STE tone enabled. Baofeng and most other CCRs radios don't respond to CTCSS phase shift reverse burst.

NC1

I would certainly look at ebay, there's a ton of them for cheap and you can easily find a decent one for $50
That is where I would go shopping without a doubt. The ones higher priced with a "Best Offer" tag would be my first round of possibles, but do your pricing research first, some people price things like they have gold when the same model from others sell for a lot less. Your best research is in the "SOLD" section, that is where you know for sure if the price is in the correct ballpark.

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Garage sales, facebook marketplace always a bunch of analog scanners although they quickly start getting distant to your location, craigslist not usually any most times in our area. Salvation army, goodwill.

Everything is so digital here as you know, so hard to even give analog scanners away, let alone sell.
Clare fire dispatch, Roscommon fire, Missaukee county fire, all of Gladwin county of course are analog.

Boefengs what ive read in the past arent great scanners, are slow. Get a real scanner even though it will be older in that price range.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
None of the cheap or cheaper scanners will do the newer digital systems in use in most areas. Many on these forums suggest the BC125 as an entry level scanner (analog only), and a new one will cost $100 or more. Great for air band, but not most EMS, fire, or police/law. The cheapest used would be a used Radio Shack Pro 106, but it is old technology and may not work well with some P25 systems.

danesgs

I would agree on the last. depending on the age a phone app would either get them interested in radio in general, or not. spending 50 bucks would be better on school supplies...

bob550

Premium Subscriber
All the parenting tips aside, spend as little money as possible and determine whether your child is really interested in scanning. Depending on the age, many kids have rapidly shifting interests over time. On the other hand, you may find that they've enthusiastically started a lifelong hobby.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Buy the child a lawn mower and they can save for a better scanner teach them to work hard and earn the things they like.

You're giving away your age or close to it! That was then, this is now. Kids today would look at a $50 scanner given to them and start whining, demanding a new SDS100. Then they could drive around with it in the new car their parents just bought them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

WB9YBM

What would be a good/best HH scanner for a kid, definitely under $50? The Baofeng forum is for transcievers, which is OK because I could disable transmit. I would like to import data from RR with free software (chirp?). Are any of the 5R flavors better? I see there's aBF88 and 888 but I don't know how they scan. One thing I REALLY hate about my UV82 is the horrendous squelch tail, even when using PL.
Strictly analog VHF UHF.

In a lot of instances (unless you get lucky) "cheap" means "crappy performance", leading to frustration. Maybe a hand-me-down would be a less frustrating and also an inexpensive choice?

DJ11DLN

In a lot of instances (unless you get lucky) "cheap" means "crappy performance", leading to frustration. Maybe a hand-me-down would be a less frustrating and also an inexpensive choice?
This. Decent used scanners can sometimes be found at pawn shops, thrift stores, yard sales, etc. It takes some legwork but that can pay off. One may be able to get into an earlier digital scanner within the OP's stated budget. I know, he said analog only, but having the capability could come in handy at some point down the road.

Just please please please don't get the youngster a CCR...

Status
Not open for further replies.