Cheapest/best kid scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

byndhlptom

I always thought the older Uniden 100XLT/200XLTs were solid performers. Replace the battery pack with newer NimH and get hours of operation. $20-40 should get you a good one.

$.02

DJ11DLN

Better yet educated the youngster so they know what they're getting vs what they might want. Then have them get a job and at least earn part of the cost of getting something better if they think they want it or will need it.
Hopefully the scanner will be a "gateway drug" into the radio addiction we all share and will cause the young person to want to get a Ham ticket...then a CCR wouldn't be completely inappropriate because its shortcomings will cause said youngster to want to earn the $$$ to get something better.

scanmanmi

What's funny is this is the 23rd post and the OP hasn't even cared enough to comment :ROFLMAO:

It's only been 2 days.

I can't say I blame him...He asked a simple question and gets a bunch of irrelevant parenting advise. This thread should have been 5-10 replies at the most...

Better than none

The cheapest used would be a used Radio Shack Pro 106, but it is old technology and may not work well with some P25 systems.

HA! That's what I use!

Look at some of the low end Uniden scanners (EZI30XLT, BC75XLT, SRC30)

Thanks. That's exactly what I am looking for, model numbers, and testimonials

So the "kid" is my 21 year old daughter that got a job in Estes Park CO. She knows nothing about scanners and probably doesn't care. I figured if I got her one set up with park and fire stuff she may like it. It would have to have alphanumeric display.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That's exactly what I am looking for, model numbers, and testimonials

So the "kid" is my 21 year old daughter that got a job in Estes Park CO. She knows nothing about scanners and probably doesn't care. I figured if I got her one set up with park and fire stuff she may like it. It would have to have alphanumeric display.

The Colorado statewide system is still P25 Phase I. I can still use a Pro-96 on this system (I'm in Fort Collins). Your PRO-106 should do well - and has the benefit that you are already familiar with it.

scanmanmi

I always thought the older Uniden 100XLT/200XLTs were solid performers. Replace the battery pack with newer NimH and get hours of operation.
The battery compartment has a lot of circuitry and I believe they are Nicad batteries. Can use use Nimh with Nicad circuitry?

Last edited:

nd5y

Can use use Nimh with Nicad circuitry?
Yes. As far as charging is concerned nickel cadmium (NiCd) and nickel metal hydride (NiMH) are about the same.
Nickel based batteries aren't usually interchangeable with lithium based batteries unless you know for sure that any internal or external charger is capable of both types.

scanmanmi

The Colorado statewide system is still P25 Phase I. I can still use a Pro-96 on this system (I'm in Fort Collins). Your PRO-106 should do well - and has the benefit that you are already familiar with it.
I got my brand model numbers mismatched. I thought the RS Pro-106 is the same as my PSR600. I have the cable for the PSR600 will it work on the 106?

byndhlptom

scanmanmi

" The battery compartment has a lot of circuitry and I believe they are Nicad batteries. Can use use Nimh with Nicad circuitry ?"

The circuitry is a simple 3 term regulator and associated parts.... I have updated several packs to NiMh with no problems ( w/ greatly increased Ahr capacity). The radios will work with the battery pack removed with an external 12v wall wart, just not very portable ....

But the 100/200 do not have alphanumeric's....

$.02

slicerwizard

The circuitry is a simple 3 term regulator and associated parts.... I have updated several packs to NiMh with no problems ( w/ greatly increased Ahr capacity).
Exactly. I've done the same. The charging circuit is designed for what... 500 mAh NiCads? 2000+ mAh NiMH's don't break a sweat.

Bob1955

What would be a good/best HH scanner for a kid, definitely under $50? The Baofeng forum is for transcievers, which is OK because I could disable transmit. I would like to import data from RR with free software (chirp?). Are any of the 5R flavors better? I see there's aBF88 and 888 but I don't know how they scan. One thing I REALLY hate about my UV82 is the horrendous squelch tail, even when using PL.
Strictly analog VHF UHF.
scanmanmi-Your "cheapest" BEST bet is the Bearcat BC-75XLT as it is discontinued so look on eBay or Facebook Marketplace. The next model up which I would suggest is the Bearcat BC-125AT and look at that on YouTube but your way above $50 now.
Good luck with your price point as other members have told you and BE careful.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The BC-75XLT would be a great beginner's scanner for a kid being introduced to the hobby (in the $50-ish range). If he gets bit by the bug, well, scanmanmi, that's on you, brother lol. Teach him about financial responsibility while you're at it so that he can one day buy his own SDS scanner haha...but OT, I 2nd that motion for BC-75XLT. A great basic operation analog scanner. Can't go wrong there.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I would go with a Pro-106/PSR-500/Pro-661(?) whatever the same scanner is with another model number. It does digital fairly well and they seem to hold up pretty well, IF you get a case for it.

My ex-GF's grandson wanted a laptop when he was five. I found an older Dell on Ebay from a seller who has sold thousands of them and spent $75 bucks for it, and another $20 for a new battery. It still works, but the display backlight died on one side, and his grandmother gave him her old laptop, which is from 2018, and was fairly high end. I got major points from that kid when I gave that first one to him. For $75, it was in amazing shape and was decent at doing all the youtube videos he wanted to watch the other stuff he looked at. He got almost 3 whole years out of it before the backlight messed up, not his fault. I gave him a Pro-106 that I made out of a couple of dead ones. He loves it.

ArloG

Oh Hell!! Haha. If you have a kid old enough to be curious of scanners, you have a computer.
And what goes better with computers and scanners than a decent RTL based SDR? Top that!!
Put up a decent discone antenna with decent cable and the necessary adapters. Install SDR# with community plugins.
Maybe grab a LNA while you're at it, a Tripp-Lite USB cable.
You're golden!
Start out with DSD+, buy a Fastlane sub. You and your kid are having a blast together.
Reminds me of when I was 8 and my dad brought home a BC-348Q from the USAF surplus yard.
Just look out for the pompous folks here when you ask questions. They can be viscous!

kymarkh

Premium Subscriber
My 80 year old mother listens to her BC-75XLT often. She is able to hear some local activity, enough to keep here interested, and I loaded it up with Chirp fairly easily. Was able to pick it up used on Craigslist for under $50. I think this model would be a great kids scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.