Cheapest GPS for BCT15, 996T, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

Rats! My pricey Garmin 2620 doesn't support NMEA, so I need an alternative (and very inexpensive, or the wife won't have it) GPS receiver for my forthcoming Uniden BCT15. What are some inexpensive options? Remember: I've already got a "real" GPS, so this accessory need be nothing special -- no display or audio necessary, just an antenna.

Actually, there are SOME requirements, according to the Uniden BCT15 manual:

"The GPS must have serial output, and capable of outputting standard NMEA sentences GGA and RMC. (See “NMEA-0183 ver.3.01” which can be found on the web.)"

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I saw somwhere on here where Paul posted a few GPS units that will work. I think the cheapest would be the delorme unit but I guess it needs some sort of a mod done to it.

Bill2k

There is a list (not complete) of some models which work with the 996 in the wiki. Looks like you'll need to do some research for the least expensive model.

cristisphoto

Delorme Cable mods???

Dubbin said:
I saw somwhere on here where Paul posted a few GPS units that will work. I think the cheapest would be the delorme unit but I guess it needs some sort of a mod done to it.

Me thinks that a MOd for Delome would indeed be simple and relativly cheeap..
YOu can buy a replacement for around $20. last I called them...
anyways by an extra cable as the Female end on their receivers accept a "unique" their cable type only...
Cut into that cable and then you should be able too use it...

Well I said simple, but tricky....:roll:

heres one example:

http://wes.johnston.net/aprs/tripmate.htm

Albeit not exaclty what I had in mind buuut hey..
it's a start :lol:

MacombMonitor

Dubbin said:

I think that applied to the older model Delorme units. Paul mentioned the newer ones did not output to NEMA standards.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I just picked up a OEM Garmin GPS-18 for 70 bucks from a dealer. It's a black magnetic puck that outputs the required NMEA format. They have a usb version but they also have a PC version with a db-9 and 12v cigarette lighter plug to power the unit which is what you will need for either radio.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
safetyobc said:
So you can just have one of those and don't actually need the GPS unit that displays maps?

That's what I'm using for mine. Yes, I can spend $30 more for one with a sceen but you'll still have to pay about $30 for a power / data cable so I saved $60 by going with a puck.

I have a $100 garmin etrex I use with my Kenwood D-700 for APRS. It's mounted on the back seat of the truck so I don't see the display so it's kind of a waste. Besides, I have another loose ETREX in the truck and a Street Pilot III so I'm set on GPS's. I have 4 in my truck now. I read somewhere I can spit the outputs off for multiple devices but I haven't tried it. My data cable for my ETREX to my Kenwood TM-D700 has two outputs. One for the radio (mono 1/8") and a female DB-9 for a computer simultaneous.

safetyobc

That is awsome! I have absolutely no need for a GPS except for using it with a BCT15 or BCD996T. I was trying to figure out where I could put this GPS, but now that I know these pucks exist, this is great!

matt

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Garmin makes a winshied mount with suction cups for the 18. It's just a glorified strip of bent sheet metal with suction cups. Can find them on ebay all for about 10-11 bucks shipped. I may go that route with mine.

Dave_D

Garmin GPS 18 it is!!!

Thank you, all, for the terrific advice!!!

Looks like the Garmin GPS 18 is just what the doctor ordered. This'll be a permanent install in my Porsche, so the puck really wins on style points. And, it's only $70 on eBay! [Look for the "OEM" version.]

Yippee! No more vent-mounted handheld!!!

Thanks again.

seamusg

Dave_D said:

Looks like the Garmin GPS 18 is just what the doctor ordered. This'll be a permanent install in my Porsche, so the puck really wins on style points. And, it's only $70 on eBay! [Look for the "OEM" version.]

Thanks again.
The thick double sided tape works very well for mounting it. it's been on top of my pickup for 5 years now

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Dave_D said:

Thanks again.

I can't wait to see the pictures! I've never seen a scanner in a porsche.

ScanBoston

Premium Subscriber
It does sound like the GPS-18 is the way to go. However I do already own a Delorme Earthmate LT-20. Does anyone know what it would take to use it instead?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You'd have to be willing to risk damaging it by opening the case and trying to "sniff out" the raw NMEA, then putting in a serial level converter... Might be as simple as finding exposed test points, could be impossible.

You might ask around in the Delorme forums (http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=65).

aguyindallas

I am sure this noob sounds like a total idiot, but what exactly is going on here? Are you connecting some sort of GPS antenna to a radio/scanner and if so, what is accomplished.

I am sure I sound like an idiot, but I really have no clue what you guys are talking about here.....enlighten me please.

STiMULi

aguyindallas said:
I am sure this noob sounds like a total idiot, but what exactly is going on here? Are you connecting some sort of GPS antenna to a radio/scanner and if so, what is accomplished.

I am sure I sound like an idiot, but I really have no clue what you guys are talking about here.....enlighten me please.

These scanners use a GPS to auto-lock/unlock systems as you move from place to place...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.