Cheapest Scanner for use with Calgary Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

typ3

I'm trying to get an idea on the cheapest scanner that can be used with calgary fire's trunking system. Is RadioShack's Pro-107 workable with that system? Any recommendations?

SCPD

QRT
To listen to the hose-jockeys in Calgary I think that you just need a normal scanner. I don't think that they are P25 or anything like that.

Maybe someone from Calgary can assist you, but the database for Calgary looked like a pile of **** that needs to be organized.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Yes a normal trunking scanner will monitor the Calgary hose-monkey's as they are analog. typ3 is the RS pro 107 a trunking scanner?

EDM Scan I went and dowloaded the Calgary Data base from RR. It was not the same as the list posted. For example the downloaded version had only 2 frequencies for the airport site while the data base had many more.

Harry

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I went and dowloaded the Calgary Data base from RR. It was not the same as the list posted. For example the downloaded version had only 2 frequencies for the airport site while the data base had many more.

Sounds like your software only downloaded the control channels, not all the site's frequencies. I'm not sure about the RS or GRE scanners, but I think firmware versions in the past year or so on the Uniden models use control-channel-only mode by default.

Also don't forget there's a large amount of conventional in use in VHF, 400, and 800 as well as the trunk system.

SCPD

QRT
From what i have seen on the forums here .. most of the Calgary people seem to be using GRE PSR-500's. I personally own one and would recommend it. :cool:

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jay you may be right. I'm using a Uniden 996XT with the Butel XT software and the RR download. I'll have to have another look at the programming.

I'm just not used to the data channel concept as the EDACS system here uses all LCN's as a data channel.

Edmscan you may be correct re the GRE's. I hear the P25 audio in Calgary is much clearer on them than the Unidens.

Harry

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Edmscan you may be correct re the GRE's. I hear the P25 audio in Calgary is much clearer on them than the Unidens.

If you are in motion, the GRE will do a better job on Calgary's system than a Uniden scanner, simply because the Unidens' implementation of multi-site trunking does not perform as well as the GRE's (IMO). GRE works more like a true multi-site (Smartzone) radio than a scanner just happening to scan multiple trunk sites (like Uniden does). If you're stationary and locked on one site, either one is equally acceptable.

Calgary Fire isn't on P25 anyway. I am not familiar with the PRO107, OP, but any trunking scanner will let you monitor CFD. I have a BC246T which does it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.