Check out these new LW/MW/SW/Air radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanbergld

The AR-1733 is what I ordered, but it was the AR-1945 that originally caught my eye. Because of the overseas shipping price in the end I could only afford the AR-1733.

Larry

Last edited:

lanbergld

I got my AR-1733 today. Wow - the air band is actually the best part of this little radio. I was surprised. I thought it was going to be just a lot of noise & FM junk all over the place, but that isn't the case. Just pull up the (20" ?) whip antenna and all the air traffic I normally get on larger, more expensive radios comes booming in good.

The MW section is ok, certainly not outstanding, but decent. Shortwave (no SSB) needs some help though. Using just the whip literally nothing comes in. But add a clip-on wire and then the results are good. The manual rates SW sensitivity at 10 uV - and that seems accurate.

I don't use FM too much at all, but one thing I noticed is that it isn't too sensitive there. I mean that in a good way. Most portable radios are just way too sensitive on FM, making reception at my location a nightmare. This radio has it just right.

The minuses of this radio is that it mutes bewteen tuning steps, and the DSP takes a few moments to kick in. You're tuning, you get a station and the volume slowly rises up. Kind of strange. Lastly the audio is only 0.5 watts, which means you basically have the keep the volume on maximum setting.

Larry

pb_lonny

Thank you for your post.

I am quite a fan of the AR-1733 and agree with everything you have said about it. The only I will note is that I don't have any trouble receiving SW stations using just the whip aerial.

lanbergld

Paul,

Have you tried the Tecsun PL-310? It's identical in size to the AR-1733, and the case is almost indentical -- but it's a different radio inside. That one floored me with it's strong SW reception on just the telescopic rod. I wouldn't even consider adding an external wire to that one.

Yes, I was pleasantly surpised by the AR-1733's VHF air band reception. I mean, here's what looks like a typical stuff-into-your-pocket travel SW radio, and it beats the pants off of more expensive, hand talkie-style portables made by Yaesu and AOR. On VHF air band.

Larry

Last edited:

0ldfosil

Anybody got a better manual on this than the one supplied with it. It seriously lacks detail on some functions. - I can't get it to recharge the batteries fully, and they are the recommended capacity.

pb_lonny

Just a little update now I have had my AR1733 a few months. I have been blown away by the MW and SW reception, having the airband also in the same radio makes it just about perfect. During the day I mostly have it sitting on our local tower frequency, of a night time I let it loose on the MW and SW bands. I am really impressed with just how well it works given the low price I paid for it.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.