Check The New Guys Info, Make Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolfilter

Hi all,

Looking for a scanner recommendation. Im new to this, so please check my homework. Looking here: Carter County, Tennessee (TN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference It seems that I can listen to most of those outfits with a basic analog scanner. In fact, I have been following 155.53500 and 153.74000 with a little dual band handheld transceiver (the only frequencies on the page that my little radios pick up traffic).
However, if I want to listen to Highway Department / City Utilities (DPL tone) I would need a digital scanner correct?
Also, it appears that there are no trunking systems in use on that page, correct?
So I would not need that capability - for anything on that page?

Drilling deeper: Tri Cities Communications (Elizabethton) Trunking System, Elizabethton, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies It looks like I DO NEED trunking capability to follow the Public Works Talkgroups. But it does not need to be digital, right?

Can you guys recommend a scanner? Police, EMS, Utilities, etc.
Maybe something that gets the Public Works also?

Thanks,
Kool

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hi and welcome!
The DPL tone does not mean a digital scanner is needed. Most of today's modern analog units will do just fine on those frequencies. As for that trunking system, yes you will want a trunking scanner to monitor that, but again digital is not required for that system. That's not to say it won't be in the future however.

Based on what I see that you want to monitor, I think a Uniden BC346XT or it's mobile cousin the BC15X would work just fine for what you want to monitor. Lucky you, you don't need digital (yet)*.

* 1. You probably will someday and 2. once you get bitten by the scanner bug you'll want one just for the cool factor. ;)

-AZ

N8IAA

Before you buy a scanner, what dual band transceiver do you have? Is it 145/440MHz? If it is, you should be able to hear the conventional analog that is in your county. The Moto trunk system has no SO/PD on it.

You may want to ask in the Tennessee state forum as to the status of your county going on the TN state wide system that is P-25 digital.

Another scanner you may want to look into for analog, conventional frequencies is the BC125AT. It is around $125, and will hear your county just fine.
Larry

koolfilter

I have a couple TH-UVF1 136-174/400-480 radios (by TYT). They do pick up local traffic, just not great. Kind of cumbersome to operate too.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just have to decide if its worth 100$ to listen to the utilities. . .
What is SO/PD?
Kool

N8IAA

I have a couple TH-UVF1 136-174/400-480 radios (by TYT). They do pick up local traffic, just not great. Kind of cumbersome to operate too.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just have to decide if its worth 100$ to listen to the utilities. . .
What is SO/PD?
Kool

The 125 is not a trunking scanner.
Larry

koolfilter

Yes, I know. I meant to say Public Works - requiring trunking and an extra 100$ for that capability.
Thanks for the recommendation though. Mine will be here tomorrow. Well today now!
Hopefully it will not be too tough to program. If it is, Im just going to pay RR the 15 and make it easy on myself.

Kool

koolfilter

Well, it has arrived. This thing is easy to use! The Uniden software makes it even easier. Put in about 400 frequencies in about an hour (never had a scanner before). Got one of those Diamond antennas coming too.
A note about the software for anyone looking, it is a little disappointing. I was expecting to be able to do more with it, operate the radio, log traffic, something. . . All it really does is make changes for you, and not in real time. It is much better than programming the radio by hand tho.
Thanks everyone.
kool

N8IAA

What radio did you get? 125, or the 346? The software for the 125 is as basic as the radio:) Even Arc125 doesn't allow control. Just programming.
Larry

koolfilter

Ended up with the 125. It gets -almost- everything around here (cost vs benefit). I have noticed though that my TH-UVF1 radios receive much better that the 125. I can listen to traffic in the next county on a TH-UVF1 and the 125 (sometimes) wont even crackle. Even with the 125 manually held on that frequency. Hoping a new antenna will help. It does pick up better when I touch the antenna or case. . .
When the 125 finds something inaudible, I can grab it with my hand and hear ok.
Does that seem unusual? A problem with this particular unit?
I will say Im hooked.The weather here tonight produced lots of traffic (small town).
kool

N8IAA

Ended up with the 125. It gets -almost- everything around here (cost vs benefit). I have noticed though that my TH-UVF1 radios receive much better that the 125. I can listen to traffic in the next county on a TH-UVF1 and the 125 (sometimes) wont even crackle. Even with the 125 manually held on that frequency. Hoping a new antenna will help. It does pick up better when I touch the antenna or case. . .
When the 125 finds something inaudible, I can grab it with my hand and hear ok.
Does that seem unusual? A problem with this particular unit?
I will say Im hooked.The weather here tonight produced lots of traffic (small town).
kool

First, the antenna that comes with the scanner is only good for nearby listening.
When you hold the radio in your hand, you are adding to the antenna. So reception increases. When you get the gain HT antenna, it will certainly help.
When my 125 is in the house, I use a mag mount base with a specific antenna to increase my range.
Enjoy the radio.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.