BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Checking Signal Strength P25 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help out a digital newbie? Is there any way to check the incoming signal strength while trying to aim my 9.95$ yagi? The signal strength display does not vary much from a few bars. I am outside of the user area of the system, and I get the "dat" steady, but the audio seems garbled.
Also, can anyone interpret what the ERR codes mean?

Thanks
Mike
W2MDM

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Signal Strength

When receiving the system there should be a Signal Strength meter Top right of the screen.

Can anyone help out a digital newbie? Is there any way to check the incoming signal strength while trying to aim my 9.95$ yagi? The signal strength display does not vary much from a few bars. I am outside of the user area of the system, and I get the "dat" steady, but the audio seems garbled.

Thanks
Mike
W2MDM

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
What system are you trying to lisen to ?

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP Checking Signal Strength P25 II

Thanks
Mike
W2MDM

Mike,

On your BCD436HP, press Vol then Func then Vol. This will bring up the P25 adjustment screen. On that screen you will be able to see the APCO decode error rate in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

What I would do is go to the control frequency of the system your trying to monitor, call up the P25 adjustment screen and move my yagi until I saw the lowest error rate on the screen. Also remember the higher the frequency (700-800 MHz), the higher the overall loss is in your coax. If you have something like RG-58 coax, then your not going to get the signal strength that you would if you used LMR-600 coax.

After your done with the P25 adjustment screen, press Vol to exit.

JamesO

May need to turn the Attenuator on as well.

Also in a Simulcast situation, you may not be trying for Max signal strength, you may actually want to Null out to next closest Simulcast tower, which you may need to initially do with a map and compass.

Status
Not open for further replies.