• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Checking those Freq's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordJ

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
635
Location
South-Eastern, Ontario
I was just thinking to myself...when/what was the last thing I contributed? Have I entered any new freq's that I have found lately? I will be checking my spreadsheets against the database and submitting discrepancies this weekend...just thought I would share, and maybe spark some others to do the same. It's what help keeps this site up to date! Have a great weekend everyone.
 

DaveH

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
Messages
3,072
Location
Ottawa, Ont.
Good idea. Just one comment though. Some time ago, someone in the area I
think you are in submitted VHF frequencies that were off, apparently due to
wrong channel step in the 162-174 band (e.g. 164.0375, 169.1875).
The default step of some scanners follows the US plan, which is 12.5kHz.
In the interest of accuracy, people should keep in mind the Canadian step
is 15kHz (not including the marine band , which is 25kHz).

Dave
 

jellotor

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Messages
1,070
Location
Hamilton, ON
...I know a lot of areas could use some PL tones searched out, too. Good idea, LordJ. I'll be running with tone search on all weekend now!
 

acosell

Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
101
DaveH said:
Good idea. Just one comment though. Some time ago, someone in the area I
think you are in submitted VHF frequencies that were off, apparently due to
wrong channel step in the 162-174 band (e.g. 164.0375, 169.1875).
The default step of some scanners follows the US plan, which is 12.5kHz.
In the interest of accuracy, people should keep in mind the Canadian step
is 15kHz (not including the marine band , which is 25kHz).

Dave
On that same note, does anybody have a listing of bands, their titles, their step, and their modulation for Canada? I've googled to no avail :(
 

DaveH

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2001
Messages
3,072
Location
Ottawa, Ont.
acosell said:
On that same note, does anybody have a listing of bands, their titles, their step, and their modulation for Canada? I've googled to no avail :(
For the 30-50MHz band, LMR is on 10kHz steps but some low-power
unlicensed stuff is on 5kHz steps e.g. 49.845.

For UHF (406-430, 450-470) assume 12.5kHz across the board. New
narrowbanding is/will be on 6.25kHz steps

For 800/900 MHz (806-824, 851-869 and 928-956) assume 12.5kHz. The
800Mhz cellular band 869-894MHz, where single channelling is still being used,
uses 30kHz steps.

For VHF, here is a table I created for Canada. Steps are different from
the US in ranges 138-144, 148-150 (150.775?), and 162-174 (12.5kHz). The
boundaries may not be precise, it's the best I can determine. Narrowband
channels in the ranges that are currently 15kHz step, will be 7.5kHz,
although I have not seen any of these allocations yet.


138.000-143.985 15.0
148.000-149.890 15.0
149.900-150.050 N/A, satellite sub-band
150.065-154.505 15.0
154.510-156.375 15.0
156.000-156.375 25.0 (marine, overlap)
156.400-157.425 25.0
157.440-161.595 15.0
161.600-162.025 25.0
162.030-162.390 15.0
162.400-162.550 25.0 WX band
162.570-173.985 15.0


Dave
 

motomeso

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
933
Location
Ontario
jellotor said:
...I know a lot of areas could use some PL tones searched out, too. Good idea, LordJ. I'll be running with tone search on all weekend now!
Run your scanner into your souncard and use winctcss for a real time display of PL tones instead of waiting for your scanner to search them out for you.
 

jellotor

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Messages
1,070
Location
Hamilton, ON
ve3nsv said:
Run your scanner into your souncard and use winctcss for a real time display of PL tones instead of waiting for your scanner to search them out for you.
Dammit Terry, how many laptops do you think I can run in my Jeep, anyway?
 

shores

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
117
Just bumping this thread.
I have a huge spreadsheet with all the freq's that are local here.
What I've been doing is doing searches on the TAFL/Strategis website, putting them in and verifying they are in use and good before submitting to the database here.
Just sent a few submissions to be reviewed and added that I had kicking around in my spreadsheets that I noticed weren't in the database at all.

There's way more freq. in the TAFL then are routinely heard in any area.
I have some freq. listed from TAFL that I have never even heard which are supposed to be in my area, must be unused or rarely used.

Keep up the good work and submitting accurate data :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top