CHED 1 uplinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Been listening to the 2 downlink channels for CHED 1, but was wondering if there is an uplink frequency that is used to communicate with the radio guys in the chopper? Or do they simply listen in on the FM radio channel they will be broadcasting on? I ask because they sometimes have short conversations with the radio DJs, but also I have heard a few other calls to individuals on these 2 frequencies.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
CHED 1 Uplink

Anyone ever find an upload freq that CHED 1 monitors?
How do they know when to speak?

I have heard some 2-way comms on 450.5625MHz, but there are clearly some other comms I am not receiving.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Both Global and Corus (CHED) share the copter. Global monitors 460.1625 Tone 114.8 which is the IFB audio of the television feed plus the directors instructions to the person in the chopper.

The two CHED frequencies are simplex so you may not be hearing the ground to air side of the conversation. I have intended to go by CHED or the airport to listen to these as when the chopper is grounded they are in the same no recieve position as us. The CHED crew does wear AM/FM headphones so they can hear their on air cues.

The only other thing I would try is to listen to the other CHED frequencies in case they use one for air to ground and another for air to chopper.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Both Global and Corus (CHED) share the copter. Global monitors 460.1625 Tone 114.8 which is the IFB audio of the television feed plus the directors instructions to the person in the chopper.

The two CHED frequencies are simplex so you may not be hearing the ground to air side of the conversation. I have intended to go by CHED or the airport to listen to these as when the chopper is grounded they are in the same no recieve position as us. The CHED crew does wear AM/FM headphones so they can hear their on air cues.

The only other thing I would try is to listen to the other CHED frequencies in case they use one for air to ground and another for air to chopper.

Good to learn of the 460.1625MHz frequency. I didn't have that one, and was wondering how the IFB got to the chopper. I had guessed they would tune in to the station they were talking to in order to begin speaking at the correct time if there wasn't a dedicated uplink freq to the chopper.

As I mentioned in the post above, I have heard 2 way comms on the 450 freq. Obviously the chopper has the height advantage to get the ground stations a lot more clearly than I can.

Are there any other city-wide IFB freqs that can be picked up in Edmonton?

Back in the days of my sat-zapping I would always be trying to monitor the IFB while watching the live sat feed to the news station. Ah...the good 'ole days!

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
During the weekend Indy the TSN IFB on 452.000 was interesting. Don't know if they use the same one for Eskimo football games. Most of the others I have heard are just STL's and not IFB's

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
When I couldn't stump you with IFB I was sure I couldn't stump you with STL:) They are the radio Studio Transmitter links that some media companies use to get the audio from the studio out to the AM/FM trasmitter. Many confuse STL's with IFB's but there is just plain audio on an STL just the same as you hear on the radio.

SCPD

QRT

Are you sure CHED puts up anyone in the chopper?

Several times this week during live traffic reports I heard in the background a phone ring and people talking. No the studio did not leave a mic open.
The noise in the background that suppose to sound like they are mobile sounds a bit fake to me

The Corus radio office in Edmonton is home to many radio stations, When Corus was using the multi channel trunk system, they use to radio in traffic reports from the news room to down the hall, probably to get the affect they are mobile

SCPD

QRT
When I couldn't stump you with IFB I was sure I couldn't stump you with STL:) They are the radio Studio Transmitter links that some media companies use to get the audio from the studio out to the AM/FM trasmitter. Many confuse STL's with IFB's but there is just plain audio on an STL just the same as you hear on the radio.

IFB can be great listening at times, last year during Indy one of the broadcasters producers went on the rant about the female host sexual exploits in detail.

I heard and caught on tape from a IFB one of the greatest case of stupid I have ever heard in a long time. Global was doing, sounded like auditions for a new weather girl for East Coast Canada. After they did the audition, not sure who was talking would rate the women and have the camera guys zoom hard on particular parts of the female body and spent time talking about it.

Last edited:

rabrol

Premium Subscriber

Ah, I see.
STL's are pretty boring. When I first picked up the 2 I can get from the house here I made the assumption they were IFB. Within 5 minutes I had figured out they were STL's since there was no other audio being carried on the channel. They just get skipped during frequency searches now.

Yes, there is a lot of interesting stuff said over IFB. And even the Telex radios that get used at theatres can provide some interesting stuff. Last time I was monitoring at the Citadel they producer and sound / light engineers were passing comments on the choice of clothing some of the audience were wearing pre-show. Of course once the show got rolling it was *mostly* professional ;-)

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Brechtd the only time CHED uses the chopper is from about 700 a.m. till 9;00 a.m. and about 3:00 p.m. to about six. The crew up there does not work for either Global or CHED but a different company. At Hawylak Park Chris Hayden showed me where he sits and where the pilot and CHED type sits. When you hear Jackie Jefferies on CHED and News880 they are phoney chopper reports. Also when the chopper is down due to technical, mechanical and weather (which is quite often) the reports are done from the hanger. When it is up the chopper audio is loud and crisp and when they are down is it quite scratchy.

rabrol what would be the frequency of those Telex radios at the theatres be?

Harry

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
rabrol what would be the frequency of those Telex radios at the theatres be?

Harry

The Christmas Carol production was on 510.6MHz. It has been added to the Edmonton database.
Last time I was at the Jubilee I forgot to bring the scanner - much to the wife's pleasure ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.