Cheektowaga NY going to simulcast system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Town of Cheektowaga

Supervisor Diane Benczkowski joined Senator Tim Kennedy, Asst. Chief Brian Gould, Cheektowaga firefighters, Council Member Linda Hammer, and Saia Communications today to announce the $500,000 in state funding for an Emergency Communications Radio System that will allow the Town's first responders to better communicate during emergency situations. Supervisor Benczkowski said, "The Town of Cheektowaga has been faced with the quandary of how to pay for the huge expense involved for these necessary upgrades to our Emergency Communications Radio Infrastructure until Senator Kennedy learned of our dilemma. I thank Senator Kennedy for his work in acquiring the necessary funding in seeing these safety improvements come to fruition, while lessening the tax burden on the Cheektowaga residents."

ak716

Premium Subscriber
from the WBFO article:

The project calls for expanding a single-site system into a six-point simulcast network.

"In addition to that, the police department had a single operating radio channel. We were able to get them a second operating channel for police," said Mike Saia of Saia Communications. "The fire departments have two channels, and we're adding an additional channel, so one of the channels can be considered an interoperability channel. If there is a mass incident in the town, you'll have two police channels, two fire channels and an interoperable channel so fire and police can communicate with each other."

The updated system is expected to be operational within the next month.

A Cheektowaga Firefighter I spoke with last year told me they were building out a town wide TRS, which I kinda found hard to believe for them. I think this further confirms that he was mispoken, and just upgrading the site(s) equipment and now site linking, from what I believe they just had, which was multiple receive stations and some voting on their current channels. I thought they posted an article last year that they replaced the microwave linking on all the sites in anticipation for this. But hey, I could still be wrong on what they have and where they are going.

I'm more so wondering when/if PD is going to flip the switch and go P25 Conventional with their new APX's they are sporting.

Also, notably, in the WGRZ video, they had a table of XPR7550's, APX4000's, and some Kenwood NX-5300's

Last edited:

BTFire21

Cheektowaga is staying analog just moving to simulcast. The sites if I recall from the FCC changes were:
Town Hall,
DPW on Borden,
Saia on Stadman,
Blue Water Tower
BNIA old CFR building
Hotel next to the Galleria ?

BTFire21

A few changes to the system since the last time I heard about it. Looks like

Calspan building in place of the CFR building
DPW on Losson not Borden(I always get them mixed up)

ak716

Premium Subscriber

Trbogeek

Premium Subscriber
Have heard testing from various locations, and each test was given a "loud and clear" response. I heard it full quieting. Sounds like testing is basically complete. Just waiting to activate it.

Trbogeek

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, it's an upgrade to the existing system, making the five existing channels, a six site simulcast/voted system, so there is nothing to really update in the database.

BTFire21

They were staying on the same frequencies in analog. They added transmit sites and split up the fire channels with the police dept.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
From the budget meeting minutes 12/29/2020 They are purchasing 5 radios...the Cheektowaga Police Department will pay for the five (5) Motorola APX 4000 UHFR1 MHZ Model 2 Portable Radios out of Communications budget line

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
From the budget meeting minutes 12/29/2020 They are purchasing 5 radios...the Cheektowaga Police Department will pay for the five (5) Motorola APX 4000 UHFR1 MHZ Model 2 Portable Radios out of Communications budget line
WHEREAS, the total cost for the radio equipment will be $10,510.89

Status
Not open for further replies.