Cherokee County/Murphy-Andrews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klentathu

Premium Subscriber
Good day to all. My name is Kevin and I currently reside in Pinellas County, Florida but I plan to move to Cherokee County, NC sometime in the next few months. I currently provide the PD/SO feed for Pinellas County which is on a Motorola Smartzone I/II hybrid system and currently upgrading to APCO-25 Digital.

In looking in the databases, it appears that Cherokee County, Police, Sheriff, and Fire/EMS still use conventional VHF FM as I see no reference in the VIPER list.

I have two questions....am I correct regarding VHF and is it broadcast in the clear or encrypted...and the second question is regarding VIPER for the State Patrol....is it all digital or is there still some analog...if its digital or drops below 806 MHz I will need to upgrade to the newest digital multiple band/multiple split scanner.

Also, I will be looking for the active 2M and 1/4 M HAM frequencies for the area, any help would be appreciated

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Kevin,
Welcome to RR.com and it will be good to have you join our NC family! :)

I can answer the VIPER question for you. As of right now VIPER is a mixed voice 3600bps Omnilink System with both analog and digital voice talkgroups. There is a significant push to migrate existing analog voice users over to digital voice talkgroups as there is a long term plan to upgrade VIPER to a full P25 9600bps Digital Only System.
There are already "test" 9600bps sites online in the Central part of the state (Wake & Durham Counties) and I am advising anyone in the market to seriously consider getting a current digital scanner to maximize your ability to monitor VIPER.
If your long term goals are to monitor aircraft only then feel free to purchase an analog only scanner but anything else requires a digital capable scanner investment. :)
Hope this helps you out and feel free to contact me directly should you have further
questions.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
All the VHF comms are in the clear. If you decide to upgrade, Grove Enterprises will be in your back door.

Klentathu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply regarding the scanning question, it appears my existing equipment will work at least initially, allowing me to stuff the cookie jar for the new stuff....how about HAM 2M and 1/4 M...I am particularly interested in SKYWARN and ARES as I held the position of SKYWARN coordinator here for appx ten years

de KD4UYR ..._._

N8IAA

Are you referring to the 1 1/4m, 220MHz band? Not many repeaters in NC. There are quite a few on 73cm. 2m seems to be the king in the SE.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.