Cherokee County Sheriff's Office transition to digital radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4CS

Sheriff Jeff Shaver said in a news release the department was awarded a $40,000 grant from the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency. The money will be used to buy a new digital repeater system, digital car radios and handheld radios.

http://www.al.com/news/anniston-gad..._grant_helps_cherokee_count.html#incart_river

Cherokee County is a little out of my way, but it looks like they are getting ready to move to digital. Heads up for anyone in that area, it may be time to upgrade to digital scanners.

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Frequency - Input --------- License --- Alpha Tag -- Description ------------------------------------ Mode
160.06500 - 155.46000 - KNIB706 -- CC LE 2 ---- Law Enforcement Talk-Around Rptr. 2 - DMR

Cherokee County Law Enforcement have been using some digital DMR radios on this repeater pair for a while but are only licensed for analog use.
If the picture is right those are Motorola radios but there emission doesn't indicate P-25 use.
New emissions have been added to the Cherokee County Law Enforcement (North Law Rptr.) on their license of 7K60FXD & 7K60FXE.
Looks like they may be going to DMR?

The Cherokee County Board of Education has already changed emissions on their license to 7K60FXD & 7K60FXE.
A new UHF Analog/DMR repeater is on the air but only transmitting on analog at the moment.
I don't believe they have any DMR radios installed yet.

Last edited:

DARRELL

Premium Subscriber
I believe that photo is a file photo from when Huntsville had their press conference announcing the transition to a new digital P25 Motorola system. So, those are most likely not the radios being discussed in Cherokee County. $40,000 would not buy many P25 radios!!

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
As of this week all Cherokee County Law Enforcement and Dispatch appear to be using digital DMR radios on this repeater pair.
160.06500 - Output / 155.46000 - Input. Emission is 7K60FXE
151.10750 - Output / 156.04500 - Input, is now quite, they may be installing the new DMR repeater.

cripplej

Is it encrypted?

Does anybody know if they are encrypted now or just went digital? I don't want to waste money on a new radio just to find out that they're encrypted.

medic9351301

Banned
"The system will allow the department to transition from the analog radio system, as other departments have done while the FCC phases out VHF frequency radios. " WHAT THE ************ ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT GEE WHIZ DID I FALL OF THE BOAT OR SOMETHING

Stephen

Medic, I think the paper added that sentence during editing. It was not quoted from any official. In addition since they added in a photo of APCO-25 radios and that does not seem to be the correct system, I think the paper heard they were switching and piece milled together a news story that they actually knew very little about.

WB4CS

Medic, I think the paper added that sentence during editing. It was not quoted from any official. In addition since they added in a photo of APCO-25 radios and that does not seem to be the correct system, I think the paper heard they were switching and piece milled together a news story that they actually knew very little about.

Yep, that's AL.com for you. Here in Huntsville, the Alabama Media Group fired most of the journalists that worked for The Huntsville Times. They hired on a bunch of college kid "bloggers" and told them to report the news. The newspaper was canned down to a print version only 3 days of the week, and the Huntsville Times section of AL.com has more blogs than actual news and journalism.

Stephen

That seems to be a new trend is that they are reporting news off of what they see on Twitter and Facebook, and then later figure out that the information was incorrect and have to retract.. It is happening a lot more common in the Dallas area news as well.

medic9351301

Banned
Ok, we have alabama media group here (Birmingham News). The Public Safety reports is a good friend of mine.She always checks her facts with me on stuff like this. I know i am getting old but phasing out all of vhf shezz. going to be a lot of ticked off hams (lol). I know this aint going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.