Cherokee Indian Reservation Digital Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

moss1990

Premium Subscriber
I live in Jackson County and was told that the reservation is now totally digital. Does anyone know how I can find these new digital codes? I know all the old conventional codes were listed under Swain county but I can't find the digital codes under that county. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't look like there were any changes to the frequencies, but several of the licenses have emission mode 7K60FXE (MOTOTRBO) added. MOTOTRBO cannot be monitored by any scanner.

WPTZ988 - CHEROKEE FISH & GAME, SWAIN 159.255 ANALOG/MOTOTRBO
WNYQ764 - CHEROKEE TRIBAL COMMISSION, SWAIN, EMS 155.055 ANALOG/MOTOTRBO
WPAF844 - CHEROKEE TRIBAL COMMISSION, JACKSON, POLICE 155.115 ANALOG/MOTOTRBO
WPNP901 - CHEROKEE TRIBAL COMMISSION, SWAIN, FIRE 151.2575, 153.77 ANALOG
WPXQ623 - CHEROKEE TRIBAL EMS, SWAIN 155.28, 155.34 ANALOG/MOTOTRBO
WQMZ264 - CHEROKEE INDIAN POLICE DEPARTMENT, JACKSON 151.0925 MOTOTRBO
WQLH686 - CHEROKEE CENTRAL SCHOOLS, SWAIN 155.805, 453.225 ANALOG
WQDD605 - CHEROKEE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT, SWAIN 155.9925 ANALOG
WPCB485 - EBCI TRIBAL FIRE DEPARTMENT, SWAIN 154.4 ANALOG/MOTOTRBO
WPQI661 - EASTERN BAND OF CHEROKEE INDIANS, TRANSPORTATION,
SWAIN/GRAHAM 159.0975 ANALOG
WQPX959 - EASTERN BAND OF CHEROKEE INDIANS, SWAIN 158.835 ANALOG

reconrider8

Have you guys checked the emission codes on the FCC website yet for the county? That would narrow it way down as to what's what or what they could run

kf4lhp

They added the TRBO emission (7K60FXE) on the licenses for VHF... but field verification is always better. I've seen some lately where the licensee has added P25, TRBO, and NXDN emissions all for the same frequency.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And to correct you guys.. the emissions are for DMR. TRBO is the DMR solution specifically from Motorola (MotoTRBO). DMR is offered by many vendors for conventional use, but still currently is only offered in trunked version by Motorola in its MotoTRBO Connect Plus, and Capacity Plus systems.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Correction of a correction

Don't ever trust the emissions designators. While they are helpful to suggest upgrades, just because an agency licenses a new emission doesn't automatically mean they are switching. Most of the time, if a radio company manages licensing of an agency then they do blanket upgrades just to cover their bases. I also know of agencies licensing everything (like kf4lhp said) to also cover their bases.

And milf, Hytera & Tait offer DMR trunked solutions as well...it's not just Motorola.

moss1990

Premium Subscriber
Does this mean that under the MotoTRBO, there is no current way to properly listen to those frequencies? Currently using the Radio Shack Pro 652 & 651.

Thank all of you for helping me with this.

reconrider8

yes i agree with field verification also but its a good starting point to look at the ed's to see where to start/ listen for

n4yek

Does this mean that under the MotoTRBO, there is no current way to properly listen to those frequencies? Currently using the Radio Shack Pro 652 & 651.

Thank all of you for helping me with this.
If your scanner has a discriminator tap and you use a program called DSDPlus on your computer, you can monitor them if they aren't encrypted.

wulf03

I still get some analog signals from Cherokee fire and ems but no pd. If I upgrade to a digital can I get entire fire and ems transmission or is it encrypted like the pd? Hate not getting Cherokee pd, better entertainment than anything on tv! If anyone has listened you know what I mean.

Drafin

I still get some analog signals from Cherokee fire and ems but no pd. If I upgrade to a digital can I get entire fire and ems transmission or is it encrypted like the pd? Hate not getting Cherokee pd, better entertainment than anything on tv! If anyone has listened you know what I mean.

Short answer is no.

Just through reading the rest of this thread and taking a quick glance at the database here there is nothing being "encrypted". The reason you can not hear what you used to hear is that it is now using MotoTRBO. There is currently no out of the box scanner (digital or analog) that you can just plug in those frequencies and monitor.

To reiterate what n4yek posted, you'd have to had an external program called DSD running on a PC to be able to hear transmissions.

I am not in the area and can not confirm what is actually going on with those systems, but using data here in this thread and the database as reference.

Draf

wulf03

Ok, so what exactly is going on when Iam hearing transmission from fd or ems, that switches from audible to digital noise? Are they using different radios or just different channels. Noticed it is getting more frequent with less I can hear. Also many other counties transmission are the same. In the future will it be totally unreadable? Or will company simply produce scanner that can read the transmission. And with all the recent press coverage of police cover ups and such, are there no law suites over civilian access to all leo real time radio transmission (not the so called prints outs after the fact) offered by most agency's. If not it looks like now would be the time for someone to bring this out through the media and any other sources before its to late and its all blocked. My point of view is that by forcing me to pay taxes, and that money funding all leo and military radio equipment. Not so much is it my right to listen but in fact its my property bought and paid for and at the end of the day the fact is all leo and military agency's are here to protect and serve us.

Drafin

Ok, so what exactly is going on when Iam hearing transmission from fd or ems, that switches from audible to digital noise? Are they using different radios or just different channels. Noticed it is getting more frequent with less I can hear. Also many other counties transmission are the same. In the future will it be totally unreadable? Or will company simply produce scanner that can read the transmission. And with all the recent press coverage of police cover ups and such, are there no law suites over civilian access to all leo real time radio transmission (not the so called prints outs after the fact) offered by most agency's. If not it looks like now would be the time for someone to bring this out through the media and any other sources before its to late and its all blocked. My point of view is that by forcing me to pay taxes, and that money funding all leo and military radio equipment. Not so much is it my right to listen but in fact its my property bought and paid for and at the end of the day the fact is all leo and military agency's are here to protect and serve us.

As for what scanners will be produced in the future, other than the one NC4DX posted, I am unaware of any other out of the box scanners on the horizon that'll do MotoTRBO. And in all honesty I was unaware of that one.

As has been stated repeatedly in this thread if you want to listen to those transmissions it IS POSSIBLE. You just need to get DSD+ on a computer and a scanner with a tap. Is it as easy as turning on a scanner and just listening? No. But it is legal to do so as long as the transmissions are not encrypted. These appear to not be encrypted.

As for the rest of your post, I respectfully decline comment as I fear that this thread has the potential to spiral out of control, off topic and into the land of Locksville. :)

Draf

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Whistler is actually looking seriously into doing DMR NXDN capable in thier first true WS scanners. Unknown if they would be able to do DMR and NXDN Trunking, but the conventional standards are open standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.