Cherry Hill reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampulman

On Tuesday, the wife and I went to Franklin Mills Mall (far northeast reaches of Philly).

While she was browsing at Penney, I sat in the court listening to my 396T. I turned on CH and was surprised to hear it booming in with 3+ bars of signal. That was inside, mind you.

Since I have reception difficulties with CH at home (Voorhees), I was quite shocked, since the system signal is reported to be minimal outside of the township.

From Google earth, I am 4 miles from the nearest tower. Franklin Mills is 11 miles.

Surprised, to say the least.

Amp

ansky

Is the mall at significantly higher elevation than where you live? Elevation typically plays a bigger role in reception than distance.

ampulman

Is the mall at significantly higher elevation than where you live? Elevation typically plays a bigger role in reception than distance.

I would think not, as it's a short drive from the mall to the Delaware River.

FYI, I was using a Radio Shack 800 duckie. At home, I listen on a homebrew Off-center dipole on the second floor. I am just a few miles from my former residence, which was the highest location in Cherry Hill. There, I was able to monitor Philly Int'l tower; not so, here.

Amp

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yea sometimes that happens. I live in Berlin which is about 7 miles from the nearest tower. I get no reception from home using the RS 800 duck. I travel frequently to washington Twp and it comes in pretty good there, and I've even got it in parts of Salem County and reasonably good too. It seems to have to do with elevation, terrain (i.e. do you have thick woods in the direction of the signal? Or a bunch of buildings?) and also if you are near a cellphone tower, that just zaps all the 800 signals that are weak. On my 396xt the attenuator helps a little bit, but lots of times there is nothing you can do.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
On a different note. I have no luck getting the NJSP from the Chruch rd area in Cherry Hill but can pick up Cherry Hill with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.