Chesapeake FD Automated Dispatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
So is "Fire Command" essentially the fire dispatch channel? My department only hears the automated voice unless you're on a tac channel, then you'll hear a real person. Interesting...

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
That is correct, the G2 (and similar) system doesn't replace people, it just brings automation to the process, and saves about 45 seconds of call processing time.
From my experience the faster I can alert the better. Until Spotsylvania installed the G2 the alert times were long. At least I was when I dispatched there.

K3QQN

Premium Subscriber
I haven't monitored VB in ages, but are you saying that when you're in quarters, you're hearing both the automated dispatch AND a human?
Yes, both the automated and human audio are transmitted for each alarm. So, in station, you can hear both. When you sleep, you can then turn off the human audio, since you would hear every transmission, not just an alarm for you. Then, it's just the automated system. In the unit, it's the MDT and the voice radio. There is no automated alarm if you are on the road.

K3QQN

Premium Subscriber
So is "Fire Command" essentially the fire dispatch channel? My department only hears the automated voice unless you're on a tac channel, then you'll hear a real person. Interesting...
Yes, Fire Command is fire units to dispatcher, EMS Command is rescue units to dispatcher. Then police is divided by precinct. 1-4 with tac Cchannel for each. The 2nd pct is divided to the main Channel 2 and 6 for the ocean front units during high activity at the ocean front. In Chesapeake it's all one channel since rescue and fire are under the same administration. Then police are essentially the same as in the Beach, with changes as needed.

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
so I can hear this all the way up here in PG county md , usually at night. It took me about 3 months to track down who it was.

K3QQN

Premium Subscriber
so I can hear this all the way up here in PG county md , usually at night. It took me about 3 months to track down who it was.
Interesting that you hear 700mhz transmissions from here. I can't hear Chesapeake at my house in the Beach. Maybe I need a better antenna. And, neither city uses any VHF frequency now for dispatching. It's all moved to the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.