Chesapeake Fire/EMS Unit Designation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosharks

Feed Provider
I have just started listening to Chesapeake Fire/EMS after several years away, and I've noticed that on some EMS calls a unit called "Am" or "A.M." is dispatched rather than a Medic. Is this a BLS Ambulance vs. a "Medic" being ALS?

If so, do ALS/BLS ambulances rotate through the stations or are they assigned permanent locations based on call volume? Is this due to budget cuts?

pduffy211

Call Signs

Although I'm not monitoring Chesapeake I believe it is along the same lines as The County. You have the normal EMS unit which is a standard response ambulance and then you have a ALS response unit which may be a pickup with a specially qualified Advanced EMT. You will usually hear these respond with or shortly after the ambulance for situations like code blue or fall from over 6 feet. Something that requires truely advanced life support. These guys take turns and cover more than one district responding to the advanced cases. I think it was a cost saving change as keeping all the advanced certifications is rather expensive and time consuming.

mikext

Chesapeake Fire/EMS

Amb's are Emt-Enhanced staffed transport units
Medic's are ALS Emt-P or Emt-I transport Units
ALS 4 and 10 ALS quick response units
EMS 1,2 & 3 Supervisors
NET Care 1 and 2 are part time EMT staffed non-emergency tranport units.

gosharks

Feed Provider
Does anyone work for Chesapeake and can answer some questions for me?

What is Amb 11's schedule for being in-service? How about Amb 6?

Are Engine 24 and Engine 28 in-service full-time and do they split the district with Engine 4 and Engine 8? How are they assigned calls?

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Chesapeake

Amb 11 is 0700 - 1900. Amb 6 is only occasional. 24 and 28 go out of service if a lot of people are off

Status
Not open for further replies.