Chesapeake PD p25 simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacony

Was thinking about getting sds100 for chesapeake pd simulcast but I heard that cpd is going to full dead broadcasting soon. I hate to shell out the Benjamin's if that's true. Can someone help with that?
Tacony (Great bridge)

Last edited:

tacony

I was afraid to say full encryption, thought the post wouldn't get past big bro.
I talked with retired p.o. who said he thought it was in the new budget for p25 upgrade. I looked at the budget and wording was vague. So hoping to find a more definitive answer.

Last edited:

clbsquared

I was afraid to say full encryption, thought the post wouldn't get past big bro.
I talked with retired p.o. who said he thought it was in the new budget for p25 upgrade. I looked at the budget and wording was vague. So hoping to find a more definitive answer.

Chesapeake just recently upgraded to P25 Phase II. Some talkgroups are already encrypted. I would imagine it would not be a line item in the budget and would rather be a nod from the higher ups to flip the switch. Especially if they use OTAP or OTAR.

kc4jgc

Not recently. It's been Phase II since the upgrade to from Motorola. The only Phase II TG's I'm aware are the Regent Univ./CBN TG's. As of Friday (3/26), The main dispatch CPD at least are still in the clear. If there were plans to encrypt soon, we would have heard about it long before now. Not saying it won't happen. Not anytime in the near future.

clbsquared

Not recently. It's been Phase II since the upgrade to from Motorola. The only Phase II TG's I'm aware are the Regent Univ./CBN TG's. As of Friday (3/26), The main dispatch CPD at least are still in the clear. If there were plans to encrypt soon, we would have heard about it long before now. Not saying it won't happen. Not anytime in the near future.
[/QUOTE

Nevertheless, there are already talkgroups within CPD that are already strapped. It would not be a monumental endeavor to strap the ret of them.

kc4jgc

Nevertheless, there are already talkgroups within CPD that are already strapped. It would not be a monumental endeavor to strap the ret of them.
Yes, the special ops groups are encrypted. As they should be encrypted. The everyday has not yet.

Others that I believe should be encrypted would be the Sheriff Department as it relates to courts and the jail and process servers, but for some reason are in the clear. But for some reason, the city feels it's necessary to encrypt school transportation? Fail to see the reasoning for that.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the special ops groups are encrypted. As they should be encrypted. The everyday has not yet.

Others that I believe should be encrypted would be the Sheriff Department as it relates to courts and the jail and process servers, but for some reason are in the clear. But for some reason, the city feels it's necessary to encrypt school transportation? Fail to see the reasoning for that.

Because of the use of student names and addresses are sometimes given out

tacony

Agree...I guess I won't take the chance on spending $700 for a scanner. If the scanner was a couple hundred I'd roll the dice.
At least i wish the live broadcastify feed was up and running its been down about a month now. Reported the problem but its still down, wish I knew what the problem is.

kc4jgc

At least i wish the live broadcastify feed was up and running its been down about a month now. Reported the problem but its still down, wish I knew what the problem is.
I've asked the feed provider directly. After ten days, no response. To quote Sean Hannity, "let not your heart be troubled". There is someone getting his listening post set up for streaming CPD.

The Uniden BCD325P2 may be within your budget. Even if CPD decides to encrypt there is still CFD, VSP and other things to listen to. Plus, you can take it with you.

tacony

The Uniden BCD325P2 may be within your budget. Even if CPD decides to encrypt there is still CFD, VSP and other things to listen to. Plus, you can take it with you.
[/QUOTE]

I tried whistler trx1 but it could not handle the simulcast. Whistler rep said to remove antenna and use a paper clip (really); if that doesn't work there is nothing else he could do.

tvengr

Well Known Member
use a paper clip (really)
There is a reason for that. The problem is that you receive signals from multiple towers transmitting the control channel on the same frequency at the same time which all arrive at your scanner at slightly different times. If you reduce the number of towers you are able to receive, it can improve the control channel decoding.

tacony

There is a reason for that. The problem is that you receive signals from multiple towers transmitting the control channel on the same frequency at the same time which all arrive at your scanner at slightly different times. If you reduce the number of towers you are able to receive, it can improve the control channel decoding.
I gave the paper clip a try no luck....I'm located in the middle of the towers probably why I can't isolate a transmission

tacony

FYI they’re not. Also the SDS series or Unication G5 would be your best bet to receive Chesapeake
As I stated earlier the sds100 and uni are out of my price range. I'm only interested in listening to cpd and if they do go to full encryption soon I'd be out the money.

davcross

Premium Subscriber
Get a Raspberry Pi and an SDR like RTL_SDR ( $30). Install op25 software. BAM listen to any non-encrypted group on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.