Chesapeake PS Motorola System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryinva

Hi all,

I have a RS PRO-96. I live in Chesapeake, and am having problems receiving the Chesapeake 800 MHz system on my scanner. It is receiving some transmissions, I do pick up some traffic from FD Dispatch, and occasionally from PD East and West, but it seems to spend a lot of time "hung up" flashing PD West on the display, and not providing any audio. I've checked the frequencies, I have all the control channels, in fact all of the frequencies programmed in the bank. I know there is more traffic than I am receiving, because if I listen to an online scanner through Broadcastify, I hear more PD traffic. I previously lived in the DC area until 2014, and the scanner performed fine in that geographical area. This problem with Chesapeake baffles me. I don't have any talkgroups locked out except for the ones for data (like the MDT's in the units, all they provide is a data burst sound.)

PS. I can't pick up Virginia Beach either, but I suspect that may be because some of their traffic is now in the 700 MHz band, which I know the PRO-96 can't receive.

HankFrank

I'm not too familiar with the Chesapeake system. But are you using the custom trunking table feature? Almost sounds like your scanner has not been rebanded.

How are you programming the scanner?

jerryinva

Thanks for the reply. I am programming it now by hand, as I seem to have misplaced the cable to program by PC, when I made my move from NoVA.

HankFrank

I don't have one of these scanners, but I believe to have it successfully track a moto 800mhz system it will need to be programmed via software due to rebanding.

You may want to read here:

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

And here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...6-2096-rebanded-motorola-trunked-systems.html

This would make sense (I think), since you have been programming it by hand since you got to Chesapeake, but had the cable in NoVA. In NoVa, the software would have automatically programmed the modified trunking tables for you, which is why it worked NoVA, but the scanner isn't setup to take them by hand, so it won't work in Chesapeake.

Looks like you need to find the cable. :)

beastieboy101

Thanks for the reply. I am programming it now by hand, as I seem to have misplaced the cable to program by PC, when I made my move from NoVA.

You must have the Pro-96 programmed by software since rebanding. The 96 needs the custom tables to pick up anything and you can't enter a custom table manually. I tried the same thing when Prince William Co. rebanded on the old P16 TRS; never heard anything and found out I needed software to program it.

kc4jgc

Chesapeake reband info

Links below are from my web site:

Since Chesapeake's system is Motorola Astro, the reband tables are required. Here's the reband table:
Chesapeake

As far as Virginia Beach, it is on 800 MHz, not 700 MHz, where the main ORION system operates.
Virginia Beach P25

Depending on where you are in Chesapeake, you may or may not receive the VB P25 system at all. If you're in the Norfolk Highlands, Indian River, Greenbrier areas or east of Great Bridge, you may have a chance. If you're in Deep Creek, Bowers Hill or Western Branch, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.