Chesapkeake -Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpasq

After this weeks update of the database which included some changes to Chesapeake P25 system, I am experiencing severe loss of transmissions. I must admit I had not updated for three weeks, and I noticed all the frequencies for the site all added another digit “5” at the end of the previous numbers. I am not getting all dispatches on east/west pd, and have completely lost Fire dispatch and Ches Regional Hospital as well. I wonder if that had anything in the case of Fire if it was the result of the latest note that says some encryption was added in Fire/Ems? I also am getting a bunch of one-sided transmissions as well on pd. (Example, this evening I am hearing a lot of the units on West, it not dispatch, however on east no prob, yet I live in the west area)

Anyone else having these same Issues or is it just me? Before now I was getting most everything and when I compared my transmissions before against say the same site on Broadcastify, we matched, but now we definitely don’t, so I am wondering what I might check on my scanner that might be causing the difference.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions most welcomed!

Last edited:

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
My Pro-197 and TRX-1 seem to be picking it up ok, never listen to PD,Fire Marshal only change I have seen.

rogress

I haven't updated my radio in a long time and all is still good on my end. To me, it doesn't look like the control channels in the database have changed since I last programmed my radio 6 months ago.

I don't know what changes were made in the database on 6/11 where it reads 'Updated General Trunked System Information'.

When they went to the 700Mhz system last year (or whenever that was), I had nothing but trouble until I switched to a different radio. The simulcast issues were killing me in my location and reception was unreliable.

vpasq

Appreciate the responses. It looks like today, most all is working properly, so maybe it was something to do with the towers in my area for two days that were causing it. Now I am receiving what Inusually get so like they say, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” so I am not going to mess with the scanner further.

vpasq

Well it didn’t last long, less than 12 hours later, back to very spotting reception of Cheseake. Beginning to wonder of the scanner is dying(grin). I am hearing more units and less dispatch of CPD. Even tried clearing the scanner and reloading entire system. No difference. However, don’t think it is the scanner because Suffolk, Norfolk and Portsmouth seem to be ok, just problems with Chesapeake. I still am wondering if it may be a tower in the Western Branch area that is having a problem, since as I wrote before, I usually have no problems until two days ago.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
If you’re in the WB area simulcast distortion is your culprit, I live in Churchland and can barely get it or at best bits and pieces

vpasq

I wonder if the SDS 100 will show any improvement? Been waiting so see any comments on that with Chesapeake system before ai consider changing, because up until this past week my BCD436hp has always performed really well, but wow, what a mess the past three days. Really spotty. If I knew for sure, I would fork over the $650.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
Chesapeake Issues

I too am waiting to see if the SDS100 solves the P25 simulcast issues in Chesapeake. I've given up listening with my current equipment. Even the Broadcastify app is spotty. Hopefully better days are coming.

vpasq

Got my SDS100 today and can comfortably say -WOW! Getting my Chesapeake calls again and it scans super fast! Sure glad I made the leap!

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
How about a good review ? Please and whats the programing like ? THANKS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vpasq

As for a review, I will tell you what I can, but encourage you to read the loads of reviews on the SDS 100 as I did before any purchase as there are many pro/cons to be considered. Here is what I have found. First, it feels so much better to grip than any other handheld I have owned. One main fault is that none of your owned SMA antennas will work because of the design of the connector port which has a lip for weatherproofing, but the sma-to-because lets you use any bench connector antennas you may have. (Example, I had a Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna bnc and a Remtronics sma so I can use the Radio Shack one). Obviously, as with most other Unidentifiable scanners, the stock antenna isn’t the best, but it did work for me, even on P25 transmissions, but nothing like the 800mhz antenna. Next, battery - we’ll a topic of many as it isn’t the best life since it comes with a smaller one that will be replaced with a larger one (and new battery door, but you must register at myuniden.com to get it). I am getting around 5-6 hours on the smaller one for now. You can elect to run of ac included USB power adapter, charge while powered, or charge with the unit off. To charge while unit on you must elect that option in settings otherwise it defaults to charge off when powered by ac. I could write a book on the customization, and that is really one of my favorite features (before I get to reception). Speaker a bit thinner in sound than my previous BCD436hp, but I think it sounds much crisper, at least to me. Also, one irritant for me is I want to be able to charge outside the unit with a spare battery to have on hand at all times. Right now that is not possible, but Unidentifiable is supposed to come out with both spare batteries and an external charger (so they say) before the end of the year. That will be a welcomed expense to me.

Now I know you want to know about reception, and unfortunately, I am normally monitoring just police and fire, and for now that is all I have tested. I may try some other services soon, but I mainly only use the scanner as I said for police and fire. Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Norfolk is my usual cities to monitor and they are all coming in with little or no issues. Norfolk is my weakest, but I haven’t spent much time tweaking settings for that bank. I dominantly listen to Chesapeake and Suffolk, given my location. I notice a distinct difference and improvement in Chesapeake reception. Suffolk has always been flawless for me and Portsmouth as well. Now, I cannot say Chesapeake is flawless, but before I packaged up my 436hp to advertise for selling, I ran them side by side and the SDS100 was definitely catching so much more and no clipping that I sometimes get with the 436hp. Can I say the quantum leap in price was worth it - well for the most part yes, but I should really use the scanner for exploring many more services to get its total worth. All in all though, I am comfortable and feel I made the right move and expense. That will have to be a personal decision, because unless we live in the exact same location and set our radios up the same, there will be different experiences in use.

So you asked and there is my two cents (or maybe a lot more than that).

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the review, got a trx-1 but looking to cure simulcast issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vpasq

I owned a TRX 1 for about a week. Bought it new and at the time also had the BCD436hp, and a I found the 436hp ran circles around the TRX-1 - at least for me it did and for what I was listening to. I read good reviews about it, but just didn’t experience it to be the case. Again, where you live and how it is set up I truly believe can make the difference. Good luck in your endeavors.

vpasq

Two other very obvious improvements with the SDS100 I forgot to mention are 1) the crisp and superbly clear (no garbble) audio and 2) the display is crystal clear and clean! There are so many things I am finding the more I play with it, and the ability to really customize functions is one of my (many) favorites.

vpasq

Ok, had a week of testing the SDS100 and I am convinced my purchase was the best thing I could have done. While my BCD436hp served me well, and up until Chesapeake went to p25, I always had great reception. Even after that change, I had pretty good (so I thought) reception, but it was never consistent. Some days good, some days too quiet to be real. Well, since moving to the SDS100, that system seems to stay active and I am not missing out on a thing. My only complaint is the battery, but that is a known problem that they are fixing for free with an updated larger capacity version soon. So that’s my last update on this post!

zveck

I can second a vote for the SDS100. After trying a BCD436hp that got small bits and pieces of transmissions at my qth, the SDS100 receives 100% and better than my OP25 computer sdr.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 in Chesapeake

Received my SDS100 yesterday and I'm happy to report that it solved all my P25 simulcast listening issues.

One question I'd like to throw out there to the Chesapeake members: I had ScannerMaster preload the City of Chesapeake database. They loaded both the Project 16 and Project 25 data sets. Can I assume that I can remove the P16 data? I don't think it's being used any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.