Cheshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

89liam146

The frequency for the Cheshire police and fire services, which i got off RR, dont work! are they encrypted? With the fire fequency ,70.775, i can sommetimes hear a lot of crackling and if im lucky and hold my scanner in the air i can hear the sirens of the trucks. i have a uniden bearcat 92XLT scanner. the police frequency is always dead, and that is 155.262, also both of the frequencies are AM does my scanner only pick up FM?

does anybody have any other good frequencies for cheshire while im here like security companies etc.

thanks for your help

morfis

The police in the UK use a TETRA system and you will not be able to listen to that with your scanner (or any other scanner for that matter).

Cheshire Fire & Rescue are still using their analogue system on 70.77500 (mobiles use 80.50000) AM
This is a very busy channel and easily picked up anywhere in an around Cheshire.

I'm not familiar with the way your 92XLT works but it certainly has AM mode available.

For UK frequency info see the sticky post at the start of the UK section of RadioReference.

89liam146

i have had them 2 frequencies stored in my scanner for about 10 minutes now and instead of hearing voices i only hear crakling, could it be my scanner or squelch? i have set my squelch to half way full and still i only recieve crackling

Last edited:

morfis

Do you hear the same 'crackling' on both base and mobile freqs? If so the problem is your scanner, it's settings or it's environment.

89liam146

most of the time yes but sometimes it picks up something on the frequency but there is no crackling or speaking are they called birdies?

morfis

Unliklely to be 'birdies'.

Initially I'd suggest you read and re-read your scanner manual and learn about programming the scanner. Once you are happy that you fully understand how to program a frequency and the correct mode.....
learn how to adjust the squelch - have this as 'low' as possible, start with it off (ie noisey radio) and then adjust up slowly until the background noise on the scanner is quietened.

Practice programming using strong radio signals (eg BBC radio 2) and things that are close to you. Elsewhere you have mentioned Ringway - are you close to there? The approach freqs would be good choices for practice in setting up the scanner.

Monday night won't be the busiest of times for the Fire & Rescue freq normally ;)

89liam146

i live about 8 miles from egcc(manchester ringway) and i have all their frequencies stored and sounding ok on my scanner it is just the fire and escue frequencies that are not functioning properly. if anybody lives in cheshire will they just store them to see if they work for them

morfis

I can't check the mobile freq easily but the base freq is loud & clear from Billinge Hill, from Beetham Tower and Frodsham Hill.

You have ALL the freqs in use at Ringway? Please post them.

morfis

Monitoring from 16:36 to 16:41

271 is out and just radioed in a stop message for a false alarm (so will radio again in a few moments with a return message),
191 is returning to station
082 is now back in ellesmere port station area
there is at least one Knutsford unit out - possibly to a fire alarm at Nantwich
251 is waiting to investigate now that the environmental health officer is in attendence

Radio was fairly active and I've not listed all the calls going on in that five minute period

89liam146

i sent off an email to uniden this is what i sent.

"I have got some frequencies for my local fire and rescue. I have succesfully stored them in my scanner, but when i try to listen to them all i ever hear is crackling but if i am lucky i can sometimes hear sirens in the background if i hold my scanner in the air! i have tried it with about 4 squelch settings(low,quarter full-half full-3 quarters full- and full my friend also added the identical frequencies to his scanner and he heard them talk no problem, he checked them in different parts of cheshire, which is where i live, and he also checked it from my house with his scanner and the reception was crystal clear. could it be my scanner or something else? is there anyway of accessing settings for my scanner."

it may also be worth saying that i have tried these frequencies on all 3 bands,1,2and 3."

i got a reply today and this is what they sent.

"Our Solution :
Thank you for using our system.

Unfortunately it looks like your unit needs to be sent in for service. If it is in warranty please send a copy of your receipt along with the unit to our service center for repair. If it is out of warranty, the repair cost for this product is going to be a fixed charge of $59.50 payable as a check or money order.

Also include a note describing the problem along with your name and address and send your unit to our service center located at:

Uniden Repair Dept
4700 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155

Sincerely, "

i replied to their response with this.

"what work will need to be done on it because there is a local scanner dealership near my town and it would be easier for me to send my unit to his shop rather than pay for postage and package and then to have my scanner looked because it is about 2 years old i do not have the receipt thank you for your support.

Mr Condliffe"

i will reply or edit my post when i have aother response.

thanks for reading this and supporting me throught my problem i do appreciate it.

Last edited:

morfis

Bear in mind that senior Uniden employees look at this website...................

citylink_uk

Database Admin
What antenna do you have?

Unless you live under five miles from a site there's little chance of receiving 70mhz on a standard stock antenna.

morfis

What antenna do you have?

Unless you live under five miles from a site there's little chance of receiving 70mhz on a standard stock antenna.

Do you mean with that specific radio?

Using ANY (that cover 70MHz obviously) of my handheld scanners with their stock aerials I can monitor the neighbouring county's fire & rescue base comms. Even the local brigade have no transmitter within five miles of my 'home'.

89liam146

You have ALL the freqs in use at Ringway? Please post them.

Approach

135.000 (118.575 effective 00:01 18/2/07)

Director

Tower

118.625 (24R/06L)

119.400 (24L/06R)

Ground

125.375 (Secondary)

131.900 (Manchester Handling)

Delivery

Control

125.100 (Secondary)

133.400 (Secondary)

125.950 (Secondary)

126.500 (Secondary)

134.925 (Secondary)

ATIS

128.175 (Arrivals)

121.975 (Departures)

Fire Service

Handling/Operations

122.350 (Thomas Cook Ops)

129.750 ("BRA Tech" - British Regional Engineering)

130.025 (Globe Ground)

130.600 (Servisair (UK Nationwide Frequency))

130.650 (Ringway Handling / Northern Executive Aviation / Aviance / Ground Star)

130.750 (Aer Lingus Ops (Usually handled by Servisair Ops))

131.700 (First Choice Ops)

131.850 (British Airways Ops)

136.800 (MyTravel Airways Ops)

morfis

Approach

135.000 (118.575 effective 00:01 18/2/07)
.....blah blah.....

136.800 (MyTravel Airways Ops)

Thanks liam BUT ......I didn't ask you to repost something that someone else had sent you on here based on older info!

Please post the freqs you have confirmed and found.

............you said you'd got ALL of the frequencies....that's unlikley for various reasons but it would be good to see confirmed freqs and their confirmed user (unlike some of the company ops freqs on that list). Then there are a whole host of 4xx MHz freqs in use, a few around 169 MHz etc etc.

The trouble with a lot of frequency information online is that it is out of date but gets posted repeatedly without anyone ever querying it. There are numerous lists for UK airband freqs that are over ten years old on the net....totally useless yet people still find them and repost as though it's their work.

89liam146

sorry bout that i will post them when i have rounded the correct frequencies up

i had a reply about my scanner off uniden today it says

"You can check and see if a local radio shop can repair the product but if they can't it will need to be sent in to Uniden for service or you would just need to buy a new scanner."

basically they are refusing to answer my question by not telling me what they think could be wrong with my scanner

morfis

sorry bout that i will post them when i have rounded the correct frequencies up

Thanks.

i had a reply about my scanner off uniden today it says

"You can check and see if a local radio shop can repair the product but if they can't it will need to be sent in to Uniden for service or you would just need to buy a new scanner."

basically they are refusing to answer my question by not telling me what they think could be wrong with my scanner

I think you are being a bit unreasonable. It's not possible for them to give a definitive answer without having access to the radio. If you e-mailed one of the UK scanner suppliers (I think Nevada might be the official Uniden importer for the UK) then they would also not be able to give you an answer without actually having the scanner to test it.

89liam146

ok it doesnt matter i dont think it is worth paying X amount of money to have my scanner tested when the real problem is that i cant recieve about 4 frequencies i have been slightly childish in my responses from uniden and i am sorry for that i will have to learn that life is not always what you want but what you need and i think i can survive without recieving frequencies!

morfis

ok it doesnt matter i dont think it is worth paying X amount of money to have my scanner tested when the real problem is that i cant recieve about 4 frequencies i have been slightly childish in my responses from uniden and i am sorry for that i will have to learn that life is not always what you want but what you need and i think i can survive without recieving frequencies!

Don't give up on it....there's probably a simple answer. Check that the scanner isn't defaulting to the wrong mode (often happens if there is an 'auto' setting on scanners designed for the American market when used in Europe)

Check the other 'local' fire & rescue freqs as well - merseyside, manchester. Try when you are out and about not just in your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.