Chester County Emergency Services Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred1

I am listening to the audio on a SDS 200. I seems some of the users don’t how to talk on a trunk system. The police seem to be the lowest. Is the simulcast trait? It seems they key the mikes on the holders, and don’t bring it up their face.
I know I will be castigated here for bring this up by the forum critic.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
So part of what you hear is the beauty of the radios they use and the Harris console. I notice this consistently with Harris systems. One transmission you strain to hear at the highest volume. The next is ear splitting and over modulated. Theres not a good gain control.

Fred1

Thanks, I worked at SEPTA(retired) we used an old analogue system trucked. The audio was level all the time. Do the professionals hear that variable audio on their radios?

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
I am not disputing anything that has been said about Harris systems, because I really don’t know much about them, but I have experienced the varying audio levels while monitoring Chester county on my scanners, but as a former LEO from a neighboring county, I do know that the OP’s observation about police leaving the mic in the holder is accurate. And it is not always out of laziness.

When newer radio systems were installed in the late 90’s, and we started carrying portables on our duty belt, along with lapel speaker mics on our shoulder, the lapel mic could create an undesirable feedback issue (we called it getting “pigged” because it created a squeal (yes, I get the irony)) when you used the mobile radio mic, as you brought it up to your mouth, putting it next to the lapel speaker mic. It was common to just key the mobile radio mic with it in the mic holder on the consolidator, so as to avoid getting close to the lapel mic, so as not to pig yourself, which would be met with ridicule from your brothers and sisters in blue on the side channel.

Of course, it was also common during the days of carrying Nextels, that when you would get a dispatch and respond, your fellow officers would “hit you up” on the Nextel and shout some inappropriate comment while you were trying to reply to county. Fun times :rolleyes:

Fred1

I used to get that from using our SEPTA mobile radio and keying up with the ht mike near your face.
The other units would hear the squeal. And be making comments by calling on the phone before you reply to the call. I had to turn the ham radio down before I keyed up on the company radio. Good times.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
Well, first of all, "professionals" wouldn't choose a Harris system, but that's just me on my soap box lol
Just wondering, whats so bad about harris? I would take my XG-75M over a motorola apx anyday. Sounds so much better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.