Chester County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

u2brent

OAMPT
Just caught the tail end of whatever was happening.
Looks like a new TG 5592 & TG 1642 E Whiteland Twp PD were patched together using 65124 as the patch group.
So There's a new one to figure out.. :rolleyes:

Also looks like TG 1150 East Police Disp & TG 1617 N Coventry Twp PD were patched using 65123...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Been seeing these adhoc / simulselect type patches on Harris systems lately. The 651xx tg seem to be random / dynamically assigned.

Lakeside2md

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some advice. Long time scanner user, been using my BC 7800 XLT for the last 10 years or so... been thinking
about next gen scanner for some time but with Chesco and St of PA system upgrades, I've just waited until things seem to
have gone live and not too apt to change. Any thoughts on "the" scanner to purchase now, and should I just have the freqs
preloaded? I'm in the north end of the county....mainly interested in Downingtown, Uwchland, UUT, and Wallace. Is the
programming a real task or fairly straightforward? Thanks for your suggestions!!!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some advice. Long time scanner user, been using my BC 7800 XLT for the last 10 years or so... been thinking
about next gen scanner for some time but with Chesco and St of PA system upgrades, I've just waited until things seem to
have gone live and not too apt to change. Any thoughts on "the" scanner to purchase now, and should I just have the freqs
preloaded? I'm in the north end of the county....mainly interested in Downingtown, Uwchland, UUT, and Wallace. Is the
programming a real task or fairly straightforward? Thanks for your suggestions!!!
You will want a Uniden SDS series scanner if you listen to Chester County. You *may* be one of the lucky few who can get a non-simulcast optimized scanner to work adequately in your exact location, but if you move the radio around - even within the same structure, its performance can change radically. These radios are easier to program using a Windows computer and software than by hand.

Another alternative would be a Unication pager. They perform amazingly well since they are a commercial grade product, but are not as flexible as scanners. There is a firmware version that mimics some scanner type features, but I have no experience with it. You must program them by computer, and that process is more complex than programming a scanner.

bberns22

OK is the voice intelligibility of TG 5452 (DES Technical Div) going to be improved? Is that the best synthetic voice Harris can muster?????

bberns22

As maus92 said your best (only good) choice is a Uniden SDS or Unication G4 or G5. I live in West Chester and previously had the Uniden 436 & 536, they were both pretty useless at my location. Now have both SDS's and a Unication G5 (with the additional UHF 450-520 for to monitor DE County) and I could not be happier...

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
As maus92 said your best (only good) choice is a Uniden SDS or Unication G4 or G5. I live in West Chester and previously had the Uniden 436 & 536, they were both pretty useless at my location. Now have both SDS's and a Unication G5 (with the additional UHF 450-520 for to monitor DE County) and I could not be happier...

I own a BCD436HP and it has always been terrible on the Chesco system. I can run 202 from KOP all the way to West Chester and get only a handful of hits while my Unication G5 is humming away. The Unication is my main tool for listening to Chesco. It is definitely not as convenient as using a scanner, but the reception and audio are without a doubt better than the 436HP. I have the same issue on the turnpike between KOP and Morgantown. There are sweet spots where the 436 works fine, but it is not a reliable option.

AGRadioNut47

Premium Subscriber
I have question i have bcd 996p2 scanner. I want to scanner chester county p2 system. I put it in my scanner and nothing picking up I live in Berwyn kop area. I just want east fire? How can reprogramming it? Is there a way I can make it to work? I programmed with the software?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have question i have bcd 996p2 scanner. I want to scanner chester county p2 system. I put it in my scanner and nothing picking up I live in Berwyn kop area. I just want east fire? How can reprogramming it? Is there a way I can make it to work? I programmed with the software?
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding you, but I think you are saying you programmed your 996P2 with software? What software did you use? Chester County's system can be difficult for a 996P2 to decode properly: 1, it is a Harris system which uses peculiar design philosophies in wide area systems; and 2, it is a simulcast system which can be difficult for non-optimized receivers to decode reliably. Even though a 996P2 is technically capable of decoding P25 signalling, it is not capable of compensating for digital multipath / timing issues.

Lakeside2md

Premium Subscriber
Here's another question. Does a Uniden SDS scanner allow you to program talk groups on a Township level so you can just scan calls to say 2-4 specific townships?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Here's another question. Does a Uniden SDS scanner allow you to program talk groups on a Township level so you can just scan calls to say 2-4 specific townships?
Yes, there are several ways to accomplish it, however I would modify the system structure using Sentinel to build a Favorites list.

Lakeside2md

Premium Subscriber
I am using a BC 780 XLT to monitor 159.7350. Fire Dispatch for East/Central.... For some reason the audio quality seems to become diminished with sort of a hiss in the background. RF signal strong at 5 bars. All other frequencies are fine. Any thoughts other listening online :(

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I am using a BC 780 XLT to monitor 159.7350. Fire Dispatch for East/Central.... For some reason the audio quality seems to become diminished with sort of a hiss in the background. RF signal strong at 5 bars. All other frequencies are fine. Any thoughts other listening online :(

There is an online stream of the Chesco system through Broadcastify. It should show up in all the main scanner apps available. It has a delay from real time, but seems fine otherwise. Chester County Fire and EMS - Digital Live Audio Feed

bberns22

Anyone seen this one before? Public Works (clearing some snow covered streets this am). I think it might be West Brandywine as return traffic is coming from that TGID
sc1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.