Chester County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
New to the game and just picked up a BCD436HP and looking to listen into police chatter in Chester County. I updated firmware and downloaded the latest database, but I still don't hear much/anything, even when holding just on System: Chester County Emergency Services and Dept:Law Enforcement. It never seems to pick up any traffic. Has anything changed or can I just not pick up PD traffic on the BCD436HP?

Nothing has changed, and when it does, there is a pretty good community of us that quickly get the database updated. he issue seams to be with your scanner. Are you scanning only the county P25 system with site lock on or are you also scanning other systems/freq. If you are scanning other things, you will miss transmissions.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
For the members in this thread as well-

If you haven't yet heard, SECOM is down at the chester county site due to a failed piece of hardware. New one is on order. This is causing patching to be down for all surrounding counties even if not chesco related.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
New to the game and just picked up a BCD436HP and looking to listen into police chatter in Chester County. I updated firmware and downloaded the latest database, but I still don't hear much/anything, even when holding just on System: Chester County Emergency Services and Dept:Law Enforcement. It never seems to pick up any traffic. Has anything changed or can I just not pick up PD traffic on the BCD436HP?

In my experience, my BCD436 has done an overall terrible job of being able to track the Chesco system. Simulcast distortion is the problem. In order to overcome that, you would need a Uniden SDS series scanner, a Unication pager covering 700/800, or a commercial radio. The 436 just doesn't cut it for that system. I went and bough a Unication G5 to use on this and other TRS in the region. It it like night and day. Where I live, the 436 cannot even decode a signal and the Unication is full bars with excellent decode.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
In my experience, my BCD436 has done an overall terrible job of being able to track the Chesco system. Simulcast distortion is the problem. In order to overcome that, you would need a Uniden SDS series scanner, a Unication pager covering 700/800, or a commercial radio. The 436 just doesn't cut it for that system. I went and bough a Unication G5 to use on this and other TRS in the region. It it like night and day. Where I live, the 436 cannot even decode a signal and the Unication is full bars with excellent decode.
+1 also for the 536HP, they seem to do well on this system.

thescannerdude123

Greater Philadelphia area
Thanks to everyone for your feedback! Does anyone local experience with the SDS100? I was thinking of returning my 436 for the SDS100. Getting PD traffic is one of the main reasons I wanted the scanner and if it can't handle the simulcast of Chester County then it seems useless. And I'd rather have a handheld vs a base, hence why I was looking at the 100 and not 200 (and the 436 instead of the 536).

Ryanwr944

Feed Provider
Could be simulcast issues I have always had problems with my Whistler handing simulcast systems.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
While both Uniden and Whistler scanners may struggle on this system, the Whistler will tend to do a worse job unless right within a couple hundred feet of a transmitter.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

Could be simulcast issues I have always had problems with my Whistler handing simulcast systems.
I'll second that assumption. I sold a 436HP and TRX-1, picked up an SDS100 to monitor this system & other surrounding simulcast systems. SDS100 never misses a beat

thescannerdude123

This is what I was assuming/looking for. Guess I'll be in the same boat - Will be returning my 436HP for an SDS100. Thanks so much!
Bought the SDS100 yesterday and it was delivered today! It worked better right out of the box! I still need to update the firmware and database, but it works sooo much better than the 436, even with the stock antenna.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Bought the SDS100 yesterday and it was delivered today! It worked better right out of the box! I still need to update the firmware and database, but it works sooo much better than the 436, even with the stock antenna.
It's the right tool for the job.

thescannerdude123

It's the right tool for the job.
I just joined this forum just about a week ago and you guys have been amazingly supportive! I have the local PD, FD, EMS, and Airports programed to monitor, any other frequencies I should add to favorites? Remember, I'm just getting started, though I've already started thinking of getting my Technical License....

ND3U

Montgomery County, PA Broadcastify stream
Feed Provider
New Hanover Township, Montgomery County, PA
I have 2 BCD996P2 receivers, one at home and one in the SUV. The one at home has a discone antenna up at 50feet and the mobile has a high gain mobile antenna. Has there been a change with the Chester County P25 system over the past month or two? I can't receive it at all on either receiver. I use to. Any ideas?

phillydjdan

Well first off, you need to ditch those 996's and buy something that actually works on LSM systems... The 996 is just as horrible as the 436 and TRX line.

ND3U

Montgomery County, PA Broadcastify stream
Feed Provider
New Hanover Township, Montgomery County, PA
Ok, maybe you didn't read what I posted. I stated everything with my 996P2 worked up to about a month or so ago. I've never had any issues with picking up Chester County, especially mobile as I travel to West Chester a few times a week and listen on the mobile setup.

My question is has anything changed with their system that might require me to do something.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'll second what Dan suggested above. Those who get any kind of pick up on simulcast systems using a non-SDS scanner are extremely lucky & very few. I seldom get a reliable decode on this system from either of my 536HPs due to simulcast distortion but my SDS100 never lets out a hiccup. Truly like night and day

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
It does appear, based on the licences, that some frequencies have been added to the system.

East/Central - 854.4125
West - 772.24375, 772.63125

If someone would like to confirm those are in the rotation, it would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.