Chevrolet 05 Silverado Z71 - - Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scansomd

I'm looking to install my FT-7800 in this vehicle. Does anyone here have experience in running powercables from the battery to the interior (through the firewall)? Rather than just start pulling sound insulation looking for a grommet, I was hoping someone here can point me in a specific / general direction for a known good spot.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

N4JNW

For fresh clean power, I'd run battery direct. A vehicle battery acts as a capacitor of sorts, and will filter SOME RF noise. Be cautious as to where you ground, as you may create a ground loop.

I'd run + and - direct to the battery. Just be sure to turn off your radio before you park for the night or you might need a boost...

Like said, get you some good heavy wire and direct it. A couple wires in the firewall never hurt anything, and if you do it right and take your time, they'll never be seen.

SLWilson

Speedometer Boot....

scansomd said:
I'm looking to install my FT-7800 in this vehicle. Does anyone here have experience in running powercables from the battery to the interior (through the firewall)? Rather than just start pulling sound insulation looking for a grommet, I was hoping someone here can point me in a specific / general direction for a known good spot.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

I ran mine through the rubber boot where the speedometer cable runs through....See below. I hooked power up to the POWER ACCSY lead that is under the hood. It has a red cover over it.....Steve/KB8FAR

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
1999-2007 GM Fullsize trucks have a location already centerpunched on the exterior firewall next to the vaccum brake booster. On the inside of the vehicle, there is a pop-out section of firewall insulation that can be removed to see the dimple on the other side. Drill from outside>in and use a proper grommet on your wires.

scansomd

SLWilson said:
I ran mine through the rubber boot where the speedometer cable runs through....See below. I hooked power up to the POWER ACCSY lead that is under the hood. It has a red cover over it.....Steve/KB8FAR

Thanks for the info. I too hooked power to the ACCSY lead. I had a devil of a time loosening the bolt attached to the hot lead. I wound up working the hot wire underneath it, but I was never able to loosen the bolt. I can't tell from the picture - how did you attach the hot wire to the asscy box?

Uplink

I had that radio in my Sierra at one time. PICS HERE. There are 2 accessory studs attached to the side of the fuse box under the hood (complete with a 30amp fuse) that work good for radios too. They are commonly used for trailering.

scansomd said:
Thanks for the info. I too hooked power to the ACCSY lead. I had a devil of a time loosening the bolt attached to the hot lead. I wound up working the hot wire underneath it, but I was never able to loosen the bolt. I can't tell from the picture - how did you attach the hot wire to the asscy box?

SLWilson

Bolt...

scansomd said:

The bolt loosened up on mine. If I remember right it is metric......Steve/KB8FAR :p

Status
Not open for further replies.