Chevron Refinery, Pascagoula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
FYI the analog system is gone and in it's place it a phase-2, completely encrypted system. I have the Pro96Com data if anyone cares.

And, in the true vain of most people when a system shows up as encrypted, I'll be the first to ask "WHAT ARE THEY HIDING???"

Hammerguy69

Well, being considered critical infrastructure, and with recent events, I really don't blame them.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Well, being considered critical infrastructure, and with recent events, I really don't blame them.
It was a reference to the constant whining when LE or FD goes encrypted with replies of "What are they hiding? Secret police!" etc. No one ever seems to care when anything else encrypts, from American Airlines to the refinery, hotels in Vegas, etc.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It was a reference to the constant whining when LE or FD goes encrypted with replies of "What are they hiding? Secret police!" etc. No one ever seems to care when anything else encrypts, from American Airlines to the refinery, hotels in Vegas, etc.
That's because nobody cares about listening to a Refinery, a ticket agent or a hotel. People who buy police scanners want to hear the police for situational awareness in their neighborhood, everybody is whining about lack of police transparency and responsibility to the public yet they are encrypting at warp speed.;)... the police in my County and all surrounding counties just went full encrypted on dispatch even though they had encrypted ops channels, encrypted sensitive channels and discretionary encryption on dispatch so it's not a officer safety issue, knowing how my county police is I would imagine it's because, wait for it, they definitely have something to hide.:LOL:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Very likely Encryption adds cost to a radio system. Good salespeople must be persuasive.
So when the police Chiefs Association pedaled a load of cra* to the county Commissioners to completely go encrypted, fire and EMS objected because of lack of situational awareness.

I'm in a area, bordering the city of Philadelphia that has very high crime, stabbings, shootings, tragic Mental Health crisis, hostage situations oh, just about every car stop results in a arrest LOL, that's why the cops rarely do them, there is a huge number of the population in my county that have outstanding warrants.

First responders are very busy especially EMS, the big concern is situational awareness going into a scene. Especially when the lead is flying.

The answer was, the County Commissioners allotted 1.2 million dollars in a county that has a 12 million dollar deficit to reflash some radios in Fire and EMS service to be able to receive only, encrypted police Transmissions.

At $1,100 a radio there was barely enough money to equip just Chiefs and Deputy Chiefs. Score one for mother Motorola.:p

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Very likely Encryption adds cost to a radio system. Good salespeople must be persuasive.

When the place I work went to a new system, I saw all of the documentation on it. On every radio sales/data paperwork was the notation "DES/AES256 encryption- no additional cost". The final system docs also noted the inclusion gratis.

My beady little scannist heart abhors the total encryption we use, but I also see the need.

PACNWDude

Currently convincing the powers that be that new radio equipment is needed, and the local neighboring counties are going encrypted as well, however, the cost is about $400 per radio (mobile and handheld APX series Motorola.) As for the refinery, I was sent there to provide emergency communications support during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, rolling out of Lake Charles, Louisiana. It took my convoy a couple of days to get to Pascagoula, I was sent as I had previously been stationed at Keesler Air Force Base years earlier, and at least knew the area. Luckily, I had a handheld GPS to find out which on ramps led where, and found a mostly intact refinery and analog radio system. It is great to see that the old system lasted as long as it did.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
where is the posts about walmart and murs? I didn't hear anything about this. all of the walmarts on the MS coast still use 154.570 and 154.600

I'm assuming this..

Status
Not open for further replies.