• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Chevy Blazer 97'

Status
Not open for further replies.

usswood

Trying to run a HOT and COLD off the battery and cant find a way inside the truck...any suggestions. Also is there an easier way than off the battery, something I could hook into or a 12v accessory Im missing somewhere. besides the cig lighter. Trying to hook up a FT-7800

Thank you

Wood

gambill1

pass thru

open the hood of your truck, and follow the hood release cable back to the fire wall. pull the gromet out of the fire wall and run your wires thru the space there. That is were I put my wires thru the fire wall at.

usswood

gambill1 said:
open the hood of your truck, and follow the hood release cable back to the fire wall. pull the gromet out of the fire wall and run your wires thru the space there. That is were I put my wires thru the fire wall at.

Thank you...I knew there had to be an easy way back under the dash...I will look at that direction...appriecate the comeback

n8emr

Depends if its an old body or new body GM started changing body styles, also is it a small s10 or 1500 blazer. If you remove the radiator overflow tank that is mounted up against the firewall on the passenger side you can usually find a grommet to go through.

money911

if your looking for something inside the truck already you can yank the head unit (stereo) out and take a multi meter up to it and find the 12v. the nice thing about that is you wont have to worry about turning it off it should get turned on when the truck is on and off when the truck is off.

hope that helped.

thesoundman

If you go to the battery, make sure to fuse the power wire, and use a grommet to protect it from the metal in the firewall. Also, instead of running a ground wire to the battery, it can be connected to metal frame/body inside the truck.

n8emr

money911 said:
if your looking for something inside the truck already you can yank the head unit (stereo) out and take a multi meter up to it and find the 12v. the nice thing about that is you wont have to worry about turning it off it should get turned on when the truck is on and off when the truck is off.
hope that helped.

WHile you might find 12volts, your going to be hard pressed to find close to 10 amps of extra power. The wires feeding and head unit are not big enough to feed the head and another device. You need to go to the battery if at all possible.

usswood

Thank you...to all...yeah I was going off the Battery no matter what...positive and Negitive...there is an inline fuse on the hot and neg wires already...one good thing bout this rig is it has an auto off...but I wont be leaving it in the truck...I will take it in and out

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
I prefer a fuse under the hood on the positive just as it comes off the battery within 18" or less. If for some some wild reason there is a direct short somewhere in the engine compartment or where they come through the firewall you will still be safe from a wire fire. Its a small $5 investment that you may or may not ever need. Its better to never need it and have it than to wish you did.

You may have inline fuses in the cables already but when you come directly off the battery, you will want something in the engine compartment to protect the always hot run.

Last edited:

usswood

scanbc780 said:
I prefer a fuse under the hood on the positive just as it comes off the battery within 18" or less. If for some some wild reason there is a direct short somewhere in the engine compartment or where they come through the firewall you will still be safe from a wire fire. Its a small $5 investment that you may or may not ever need. Its better to never need it and have it than to wish you did.

You may have inline fuses in the cables already but when you come directly off the battery, you will want something in the engine compartment to protect the always hot run.

So ur saying in addition to the Hot and Neg Fuses already on the wires, I should use an additional fuse 2...these fuses are 12 inches from the terminal connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.