Chevy Silverado 2014 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd119

I recently got a new truck to replace my 2008 Chevy Silverado.

Install took probably 30 hours total...most of that was trying things in different spots. I went with a Gamber Johnson console this time.

I have two Motorola XTL 5000s in VHF. Both are setup identically with the exception of different scan lists. Basically, one is for Fire use, the other monitors Law. One XTL has a Pyramid VRS installed to it and that is turned on/off using the Radio button on the console.

The Uniden 996XT monitors surrounding counties and the 536 monitors the statewide WISCOM system. It's hooked to GPS to turn on and off sites as I travel through the state. I also have this one setup for Minnesota's ARMER system in the same fashion.

The switches turn the scanners and radios off along with the Garmin GPS and the GPS Antenna's power. The Feniex 4200 controller handles all my lights. Fun Fact: The AUX 1 switch is tied into my garage door opener inside the console. I press the console button to open/shut my garage door. I have a voltage meter/dual usb port in the 5th switch cutout to charge phones or just to monitor the voltage. I also have shore power to keep my truck battery maintained when parked at home.

I have a master switch that feeds into the ChargeGuard. Basically, when I turn the truck on it powers up everything and when I shut off the truck it shuts it off after 30 minutes.

Photos:

Full Console
QNPApV5.png

Top Half
Bot3piW.png

Bottom Half
FsXTOO0.png

Master Switch with ChargeGuard
Y1noFEe.png

Shore Power running to battery charger/tender
Xs5R0so.png

Antennas (sorry, it's winter so there is salt everywhere on the truck)
6VZd0Qt.png

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I commented on your last install, so I have to comment on this one! This install is even better than the last! Great job, The only thing that bothers me is the American flag hanging vertically - switch it to horizontally! :cool:

BlackSheepDue

I think you have my dream center console! I do have some questions though; are the radios issued to you? If not why run the two radios instead of another(cheaper) scanner? Also what do you use the vrs for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfd119

I commented on your last install, so I have to comment on this one! This install is even better than the last! Great job, The only thing that bothers me is the American flag hanging vertically - switch it to horizontally! :cool:

Hah, I wish. I just put two screws in the wall and hung it from the eyelets.

I think you have my dream center console! I do have some questions though; are the radios issued to you? If not why run the two radios instead of another(cheaper) scanner? Also what do you use the vrs for?

The radios are mine with agency channels in it that I'm authorized to be have. I have two radios for many needs. I'm an Incident Dispatcher, Radio tech, and Fire/EMS guy. Its easier to have two radios with the dedicated channels I'm using than switching back and forth. Also, a scanner doesn't offer Operator Selectable Priority.

Too bad that BCD536 display can't be easily made green to match.

That's my only real gripe about the 536! It's the one that doesn't match the rest. I may have to employ this guy to make mine "custom": http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/334103-got-tired-dim-pale-blue-bcd536hp-display.html

N8IAA

I don't usually comment on installs, but yours is one of the neatest, well organized I've seen in years on this site. Outstanding work!
Larry

sfd119

what do you use the vrs for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to address this in my last reply. VRS is used when I'm out of the truck. I don't get portable reception in the majority of the county.

Did I miss something with the console? I see 6 antennas on the roof and only 4 radios mounted.

The other antenna is a vehicle repeater antenna, the sixth was put in for a X10DR system, but I changed my mind on that system.

sfd119

Do you like those antennas? Are they pretty quiet? (I realize you have six but...still asking.)

I LOVE these antennas. They hold up very well. I have hit tree branches and other items in the rural areas and these things hold up.

They are pretty quiet too. My old truck would howl at about 60mph with them but no other speeds did I notice it. This truck appears to not have that issue.

I could have swore the other day that the Wisconsin State Patrol has some on their squads now.

bharvey2

That is not an American flag.

It's a thin red line flag, and like the thin blue line flag, very controversial.

Are Blue Line Flags an Abomination? - Blue Lives Matter

That aside, this is the cleanest interior setup I have seen of ANY vehicle.

I saw one of these flags on on a vehicle driving down the road a week or so ago. Didn't notice the blue line but I'll bet it was there. I'm glad you posted this link because I'd never seen one before and I wasn't sure what I was looking at. Thanks for the lesson. I learned something new today.

paramedicqc

Premium Subscriber
A really nice, clean, professionnal and efficient setup ! REALLY love it

Sent from my Pixel XL with Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.