Chicago Area Radi-Link Cap+ System

Premises2972

Hello,
Earlier today I picked up a strong DMR trunked signal on 452.3625 (Appears under this license FCC Callsign WQBH487 (RADI LINK INC)) for a Willis Tower repeater. It is CC:1 and there was an encrypted talkgroup (101). I am confused which system this belongs to. There are 2 on RadioReference (Radi-Link (Capacity Plus) Trunking System, Chicago, Illinois and Radi-Link (Capacity Plus Multi Site) Trunking System, Chicago, Illinois) I know this is Cap+, and my SDR tells me there are possibly 16 LSNs. Are these 2 systems the same? If yes, I think the one-site system should be removed. Since either one of these systems is missing a frequency, anyone have any clues as to what this is?
Thanks

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Hello,
Earlier today I picked up a strong DMR trunked signal on 452.3625 (Appears under this license FCC Callsign WQBH487 (RADI LINK INC)) for a Willis Tower repeater. It is CC:1 and there was an encrypted talkgroup (101). I am confused which system this belongs to. There are 2 on RadioReference (Radi-Link (Capacity Plus) Trunking System, Chicago, Illinois and Radi-Link (Capacity Plus Multi Site) Trunking System, Chicago, Illinois) I know this is Cap+, and my SDR tells me there are possibly 16 LSNs. Are these 2 systems the same? If yes, I think the one-site system should be removed. Since either one of these systems is missing a frequency, anyone have any clues as to what this is?
Thanks
Have you been able to tell which LCN (or LSNs) are are assigned to this 452.3625 repeater? Have you caught any talkgroups active on that repeater other than encrypted talkgroup 101?

kbk777

Premium Subscriber
@Premises2972
The Willis Tower Radi-Link site has 452.3825 (LCN2), not 452.3625. I can share DSD frequencies data if you need it. That said, even though 452.3625 is listed under the FCC license, it does not appear to be in use in that system. I'll do some more research and report back.

Premises2972

Have you been able to tell which LCN (or LSNs) are are assigned to this 452.3625 repeater? Have you caught any talkgroups active on that repeater other than encrypted talkgroup 101?
So after listening for basically one whole business day, here is what I see
This frequency appears to be LSNs 1-2, and it doesn't look like there are any other frequencies on this Cap+ system (I only see REST:1 and REST:2 on this which means that there is one frequency only-- I could be wrong). No other talkgroups besides 101 observed. 101 is ENC. My SDR does say MOTOROLA CAP+ WIDE-AREA VOICE CHANNEL, so im not sure if that means Capacity Plus Multi Site, This frequency is CC:1, i was hoping someone with a good digital scanner could pop this into their scanlists and give some info, so maybe we can add this as a frequency to an existing TRS or add a new TRS.

Premises2972

@Premises2972
The Willis Tower Radi-Link site has 452.3825 (LCN2), not 452.3625. I can share DSD frequencies data if you need it. That said, even though 452.3625 is listed under the FCC license, it does not appear to be in use in that system. I'll do some more research and report back.
I'm leaning toward this being a single frequency CAP+ system on the Willis Tower, see my other reply for other details after listening for a bit longer

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
@Premises2972
452.3875, not 452.3825.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
So after listening for basically one whole business day, here is what I see
This frequency appears to be LSNs 1-2, and it doesn't look like there are any other frequencies on this Cap+ system (I only see REST:1 and REST:2 on this which means that there is one frequency only-- I could be wrong). No other talkgroups besides 101 observed. 101 is ENC. My SDR does say MOTOROLA CAP+ WIDE-AREA VOICE CHANNEL, so im not sure if that means Capacity Plus Multi Site, This frequency is CC:1, i was hoping someone with a good digital scanner could pop this into their scanlists and give some info, so maybe we can add this as a frequency to an existing TRS or add a new TRS.
Been listening to 452.3625 for fifteen minutes on my SDS100. I'm at Columbus Drive and the Chicago River in downtown Chicago and haven't heard a peep. No DMR rest channel bursts, nothing. Maybe the transmitter you're hearing isn't in downtown Chicago? Any chance you've caught an analog CWID?

Premises2972

Been listening to 452.3625 for fifteen minutes on my SDS100. I'm at Columbus Drive and the Chicago River in downtown Chicago and haven't heard a peep. No DMR rest channel bursts, nothing. Maybe the transmitter you're hearing isn't in downtown Chicago? Any chance you've caught an analog CWID?
Wow thats interesting, I assumed it was willis tower since that was the only license that would make sense. I am on the north side, and I can hear the REST bursts

Premises2972

Ok so upon some searching, looks like I might be hearing a system from Niles IL, under FCC License WRNA375 (FCC Callsign WRNA375 (Shure Inc)) for SHURE INC. There is another license for Google at Fulton/Morgan but that seems unlikely to be this one. Can anyone confirm if Shure Inc in Niles uses a Cap+ system?

kbk777

Premium Subscriber
I'm leaning toward this being a single frequency CAP+ system on the Willis Tower, see my other reply for other details after listening for a bit longer
Ok so upon some searching, looks like I might be hearing a system from Niles IL, under FCC License WRNA375 (FCC Callsign WRNA375 (Shure Inc)) for SHURE INC. There is another license for Google at Fulton/Morgan but that seems unlikely to be this one. Can anyone confirm if Shure Inc in Niles uses a Cap+ system?
@Premises2972 ... where approximately are you located and scanning from?

Premises2972

I'm about 10 miles north of Niles and hear nothing on 452.3625.
ok so now im confused.... someone downtown saying they hear nothing, and now youre saying you hear nothing north of niles.... So now I have no idea what the heck i'm seeing.... and what this freq belongs to

ko
ok so now im confused.... someone downtown saying they hear nothing, and now youre saying you hear nothing north of niles.... So now I have no idea what the heck i'm seeing.... and what this freq belongs to
I'm in Bensenville just West of Ohare Airport and I'm definitely getting digital noise on that frequency in search mode.

kbk777

Premium Subscriber
I readjusted my antenna and now see activity on 452.3625. Shows system ID of 334 with multiple neighbor sites. I will investigate this further.

1714953816119.png

Premises2972

I readjusted my antenna and now see activity on 452.3625. Shows system ID of 334 with multiple neighbor sites. I will investigate this further.

View attachment 161593
OK this adds to the confusion, i never got anything about a Connect Plus multi site system. I have attached a snippet of my SDRTrunk logs, there is more but its too big and is mostly repeated of this.

Attachments

• CAP-Plus-System-452.3625.txt
    20.4 KB · Views: 9