Chicago breaking news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch1ronTL34

Did anyone hear anything from the CPD about a crime or some event happening on North Sheridan Road near Loyola University? Traffic is being diverted and there're a ton of cop cars, but I couldn't get home in time to listen to my scanner...anyone know what's going on? This would have been around 9:30 PM or maybe a little earlier

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Love to tell you but I Can't tell you . That might mean the whole CPD will go encrypted.

Ch1ronTL34

The article for what happened was in the Red Eye today. Loyola University was hosting Third Eye Blind, and some 21 year old female ran into the street after the concert and was hit and killed by two cars.

Pedestrian dies after being struck by two cars near Loyola

Both drivers ticketed in death of Oakton Community College student
Tribune staff report
Published April 11 2008
---

An Oakton Community College student was killed when she was hit by two cars Wednesday night outside Loyola University's Lake Shore Campus on Chicago's North Side.

A Mercedes was heading south in the 6500 block of North Sheridan Road shortly before 9 p.m. when it hit Miriam Benezra, 21, of the 9400 block of Kedvale Avenue in Skokie, forcing her into northbound traffic, police said. A Nissan sport-utility vehicle then struck her.

Benezra was pronounced dead at 3:54 a.m. Thursday in St. Francis Hospital in Evanston.

The driver of the Mercedes and the Nissan's driver were each ticketed for failing to exercise due care to a pedestrian in a roadway.

It was probably right under the red line viaduct...it's a pretty bad "intersection" for pedestrians.

Last edited:

Ch1ronTL34

wannabescannist said:
Pedestrian dies after being struck by two cars near Loyola

It was probably right under the red line viaduct...it's a pretty bad "intersection" for pedestrians.

Thanks for the link...and I believe it was just a little bit north of that red line viaduct. But yes, that is a horrible intersection, as there are dozens of college students crossing it every 35 seconds or so. Not to sound morbid, but it would be interesting to see a video of what happened. I'm sure I'm not getting the entire story, but I'd like to know why the cars got ticketed...I could understand 1 car hitting her and the driver of that car being at fault, but TWO cars hitting her, and they cite both drivers? My guess is maybe the girl was crossing when she wasn't supposed to and she paid the ultimate price. But there's a good chance I'm completely wrong. This ignorant poster will now shut up.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ch1ronTL34 said:
Thanks for the link...and I believe it was just a little bit north of that red line viaduct. But yes, that is a horrible intersection, as there are dozens of college students crossing it every 35 seconds or so. Not to sound morbid, but it would be interesting to see a video of what happened. I'm sure I'm not getting the entire story, but I'd like to know why the cars got ticketed...I could understand 1 car hitting her and the driver of that car being at fault, but TWO cars hitting her, and they cite both drivers? My guess is maybe the girl was crossing when she wasn't supposed to and she paid the ultimate price. But there's a good chance I'm completely wrong. This ignorant poster will now shut up.

Pretty much anytime a vehicle strikes a pedestrian, the driver get's ticketed for failure to yield to a pedestrian. Maybe she was struck, got up, and was re-struck by vehicle #2? I've been on some strange incidents like this. Traffic Court judge will decide if the ticket(s) will be sustained.

XTS3000

Ya, how they can ticket the second driver is beyond me. It's like when a racoon or other animal runs in front of your car when your going 50Mph. Sometimes it happens too fast for you to respond, and you hit the animal. Sad, but it happens.

Police wonder why people leave the scene of a crime (hit and run). Well, when you give tickets to people when the situation is completely out of their control, people may flee the scene. I'd have to think fast if I was the second driver in this situation, would I stop?

Gee, I was driving the speed limit, seatbelt on,mirrors adjusted, tires filled, and someone else hit a person and they got thrown towards my car. Now I hit this person doing nothing wrong what-so-ever. Why should I get a ticket?? I understand the popo would want my statememt, and take my name/DL down in case they need to contact me about the case at a later date, but a TICKET??? This is just wrong. Because I was doing everything right, I still have to go to court and fight a ticket (while loosing time at work, and possable having my insurance go up).

Status
Not open for further replies.