Chicago FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'll visiting up there in a few months. I have a psr500 radio and programing them now. I just wondering if the CFD went to Digital UHF yet? If so I would I set that up thanks I'm not sure what uhf channels they are

Last edited:

Ch1ronTL34

CFD is in the VHF range around 150 mhz. They're still conventional analog, not digital, as far as i know.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The info in the CARMA Profile is still accurate from your last trip.
154.130 Main (North Fire)
153.770 Englewood (South fire)
460.600 EMS North
460.625 EMS South
154.295 Fireground
154.220 Administrative
462.975 EMS Command

The UHF-T band channels have been used mostly for testing and a few special events since then, for example they were used during peace marches last week and the Taste last summer.

Future UHF channels:
478.4625 477.6625 477.6875 477.7375 477.7875 477.8375 477.8500 477.8625
477.5125 477.9875 478.1375 478.1500 478.2125 476.6875 477.5625 477.7625

firetaz173

CFD Digital

I believe that the EMS side is currently testing the Digital side. I work with IMERT, and noticed that they have the XTS3000 radios already. Not sure just when theyre going to it, but from what i heard from their Chief officers, they ARE going to it soon.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
N9JIG said:
The info in the CARMA Profile is still accurate from your last trip.
154.130 Main (North Fire)
153.770 Englewood (South fire)
460.600 EMS North
460.625 EMS South
154.295 Fireground
154.220 Administrative
462.975 EMS Command

The UHF-T band channels have been used mostly for testing and a few special events since then, for example they were used during peace marches last week and the Taste last summer.

Future UHF channels:
478.4625 477.7875 477.5125 477.9875 478.2125 476.6875

6 Channel Convential Digital APCO 25 system and yes they are testing Encryption, for our benefit of course. This is confirmed. Their is a debate whether it will be all encryption or not right now. My best guess is CFD IAD (Internal Affairs), JHAS Teams and those companies which fall under "Special Operations" will be encrypted. I have figured out the new channel line up based upon some sit down note taking during testing. Their is training "planned" for "new Motorola Radios" in the very near future, but no date has been set.
The channels will be set up almost identical to what they are now. Two exceptions are an O.E.M.C. Channel and a Fire City-Wide Channel. I have caught some "low-power" repeater usage too. My suspicion is this is going to be mobile extenders utilized by Command Vans during working fires and will be taped (69 W. Washington fire ring a bell?) If you happen to catch radio traffic on the new channels, the reception is excellent, audio is crisp. It has been tested city-wide and in subways and hospitals. They will make sure it's ready to go before they make the switch. EMS will be first to go, followed by Fire Suppression. So everyone sit tight, and if you're a big CFD listener, you might as well start making your purchase now..

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. I'll put all channels in and test the NAC for the digital channels. I'll be up there the last week of July and first week of Aug.

JT-112

Werinshades - sounds like there will be a UHF Main, UHF Englewood and so on, is that right?

Any plans for further segmenting the channels?

Are the EMS units ever going to respond on the same channel as the fire rigs do?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
]Werinshades - sounds like there will be a UHF Main, UHF Englewood and so on, is that right?

Yes, that is the plan.

Any plans for further segmenting the channels?

Unknown at this time

Are the EMS units ever going to respond on the same channel as the fire rigs do?[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that will happen. We will have interoperability on one band...UHF-T. The Channel designations will be the same basically. Fire-North (Main) , Fire-South (Englewood), EMS-North,EMS South. The two new designations are O.E.M.C. and Fire City-Wide. I was able to catch this during testing. I have the frequency and new designations ,but just waiting for further confirmation when the system goes on-line if no encryption is involved. I will caution all out there as encryption could very well be a reality so monitor wisely. I will update the database soon.

JT-112

Somehow I'm not surprised!

Is there some history I'm missing here between EMS and Fire? They seem to operate differently...

Thanks for the input...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
sixtytwo said:
Somehow I'm not surprised!

Is there some history I'm missing here between EMS and Fire? They seem to operate differently...

Thanks for the input...

Well yes their's history. Since i'm on the EMS Side, I have a different perspective. We have 60 ALS ambulances , and 15 BLS ambulances. Their are many more EMS runs than fire runs, but we now have ALS fire comapnies. I don't have the ALS company numbers for you, but yes their are quite a few now. Coming around April 16th, their will be six ALS truck companies going in-service. This is a first as it's been primarily Engine companies that were ALS. ALS Trucks going in service: 2, 29, 32, 41, 45, 60.
Their is a little animosity on both sides of the floor between EMS and Fire. We get through it though as we eat together, play together and overall their is a general respect I feel. I have seen the change occur in my years on CFD, some for the better and some not. CFD is definitely more Pro-EMS now then it ever has been. If you don't have an ALS Engine or Truck around you, I can guarantee one of the fire companies around you has an AED.
As far as communications, we currently don't talk to each other much, despite the best attempts of our bosses. If we step out of the ambulance, we can't communicate with the fire company officer as he/she has VHF Fireground and we have UHF/EMS Channels. This will be changing shortly as i'm sure they will designate a channel similar to EMSCommand and Fireground in our current line-up. If I had to take a guess, Fire City-Wide would be the new Fireground Channel, and O.E.M.C. Channel will be re-designated as EMS Command. The best part is we'd all be able to switch over on our portables. I have also heard the rumor they will not be installing apparatus radios, strictly portables. This is just rumor for now and I hope it's not the case. We are also replacing our MDC's in our apparatus with Motorola laptops, which can be removed to complete the run form on. Not sure when everyone will be converted, but the newest ambulances in the fleet (FDC 120 series) have them in the rigs. Hope this is enough history for you for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.