Chicago Fire Dept. 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So here I am again, with little tidbits from "inside" the Chicago Fire Dept. Promises, promises...I know but here's what I have heard and seen over the past couple months:

Digital Radio Changeover:

I attended a meeting and was given this information. "New" radio training should start mid-to-late January for all EMS and Fire Companies. Their is an active memo seeking members to be detailed to the Training Divsion for 12-16 weeks for the sole purpose of training members on how to use the radios. All companies will be sent to the Fire Academy for a day of training and the "new" Digital radios will be part of this. The Radio Shops have been programming new radios. They have collected some of the EMS radios and replaced them with spares until they are returned. This has taken a long time, due to the relocation of some of our radio techs to the OEMC and other tasks.

District 4 Elimination:

The 4th Fire District is being eliminated as of Jan. 1st, 2012 @ 0800 Hrs. District 1 & 5 will absorb two battalions from each. The Deputy District Response areas are changing too. District 1 will extend to 39th st. (Pershing Road) and north boundary will change too.

District Chief's (FS&R 2-1-21 to 2-1-26, EMS 4-4-1 & 4-4-2) Eliminated:

Part of Mayor Emmanuel's cost cutting has hit CFD. Fire will mimmick EMS now with 1 Exempt Rank Chief in command of north and south. Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner will command north and another will command south. An Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner is in Command of Special Operations now (2-1-9), and haven't heard that being elimianted. Their may or may not be Radio Signature changes. Currently 2-1-10 and 2-1-11 are Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioners, so it's possible to keep these the same. Deputy District Chiefs Radio Signatures may or may not change too. On the EMS side, an Asst. Dept. Chief Paramedic (4-4-11, 4-4-12) will be the commanding officer of each respective Field Division (Roosevelt Road is the dividing line). They will report to the Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner of EMS (cuurently 2-1-11) for anything that needs reporting. If I was a betting man, i'd say 2-1-10 (Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner Special Operations) 2-1-11 Asst.Dept. Fire Commisioner-North) 2-1-12 (Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner-South), 2-1-13 (Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner-EMS). This is just my crystal ball at work here ,and I enjoy seeing how close I get. I'll keep my eye open for memos as i'm not due back to work for a couple weeks.

"New" Digital Radio Line-Up:

Yes I do have the radio line-up's with frequencies and NAC/CTCSS tones. Some of you have contacted me off list here and I haven't e-mailed it for a reason. I'm awaiting confirmation with a newly programmed radio to confirm what I have on my list. I mentioned in a previous thread here that i'd like to delete ALL of the curerent Chicago Fire Dept. database here at Radioreference and start from scratch. It's very confusing to those not from here and are trying to program a scanner for a visit. Their are many duplicate entries, with different licenses etc. that i'm not sure why it has to be like this. A simple cleaner format would make it easier, and maybe better for those using HP-1 especially. I'd contact the Database Administrator off-list here before i'd take on that monumental task. The current VHF line-up would remain, but we don't have "channel numbers" in our rig radios. No need to race to be the first to submit the information, but would rather be 100% correct. Yes, we will have encryption capabilities in Chief's radios.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
With the narrowbanding coming next year any word of what is going to happen to the VHF after the UHF changeover? I asume they will all be going except IFERN for the suburban companies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Radio Signature Update

Effective: 1-1-2012 0800 Hrs.:

2-1-9 (Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner-Special Operations)

2-1-10 (Asst. Dept. Fire-Commisioner-North)

2-1-11 (Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner-EMS)

2-1-12 (Asst. Dept. Fire Commisioner-South)

2-1-23 (Dist. Chief-Airport Operatins {no change, not eliminated}

2-1-33 (Dist. Chief-Special Functions)

6-8-6 (Air Sea Rescue-Training Officer)

{An "official" Department Memo should be circulating soon}..

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
We had our ambulance in the repair shops for a week and when it returned, our Motorola Astro Mobile radio was re-programmed (Was told time after time, this wasn't going to happen, but very happy it is!!!) with the analog and future digital channels in them. Wide and Narrowband were added so we are ready to switch. Portable radios are out for re-programming and they will come back with the same configuration. I'm glad I didn't put out the list I have as many of the analog UHF frequencies/CTCSS tones were wrong. I found out today, that was an "oversite" and that's why we've been delayed till March/April 2012.

Our new radios have "Zones" progrmmed. We will be required to switch to the proper Zone when told to. Right now, our radios show : UC EMS ENGL. The UC stands for the hospital PL Zone we're assigned to and the rest is self-explanatory. The hospital zone will change depending on the side of the city you're on.

I did look around the different Zones (of course, what did you expect). I counted 26 Zones available, most with the same channel line up, including encrypted or "secure" Zones. I don't think it'll be necessary to know all the Zones, as the channels are the same. Most I doubt we'll be using daily, but i'm sure the upcoming "Digital Radio Training" will shine some light on this. The one important note on the Digital channels is the OEMC Channel (477.9875) is now known as the "Joint-OPS" Channel...NAC Code is still 293.

I was able to utilize the Close Call feature on my 396XT one day from work and can confirm all of the new channels. I will be submitting my updates to the RR Database so everyone can update. This is the first major change in CFD communicatins in a long time, so I want to get it 100% correct. Unless anyone objects, i'd like to delete the current CFD listings and add the old and new line-up. Like I said in previous post, make it a little neater?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Dave; I have heard that the existing Main and Englewood EMS channels (460.600, 460.625) are to be released to Cook County as part of the tri-band InterOp system once CFD moves to T-Band. Do you know if this is still planned or will these be retained by CFD?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Dave; I have heard that the existing Main and Englewood EMS channels (460.600, 460.625) are to be released to Cook County as part of the tri-band InterOp system once CFD moves to T-Band. Do you know if this is still planned or will these be retained by CFD?

I'd say that would be correct Rich as the "old" EMS channels are designated as "Metro 3" and "Metro 4". Not sure how/what/if we'll be using those channels for yet.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Chicago Police Dept. 2012

Was able to get look at the "new" CPD District/Area realignments. 3 Districts are being eliminated, but will be "re-born" in other areas of the city. Eliminated Districts are 23,24,25. Re-located will be 13th District (The current 25th District), 19th (Taking over 23rd District and current 19th District {Wilson Ave. will be the north border, east to lakefront, west to current border, south to Fullerton}. This will be a very busy area, especially during the summer with all the night life. The 21st District will be re-located to the current 24th District. The 2nd District will take over the current 21st District, and the north border will be the Stevenson Expressway (24th st.-south of McCormick Place} The 1st District will be the primary District for McCormick Place, which will be busy during the G8/NATO Summit in May. The 12th District will take over the old 13th District, and some modifications on it's south and southeast border with the 1st and 9th District.

Detective Areas will be North-Central-South, and have heard of a city-wide Homicide Unit too. Their will also be Patrol Areas which will be seperate from Detective Areas. Look for Radio Identification Numbers to be reassigned too.

I'll be awaiting Radio Zone modifications with all these changes. The larger the District, the likelihood of a single Zone being assigned. I've been told the second radio upgrades will be coming, and with that the "new" CPD Zones (14,15,16) will be added...both narrow and wide band.

Looks like a whole lotta changes for both Fire and Police in the coming year. Fortunately, very little encryption, or "non-monitorable" systems being installed. Visitors will have to keep an eye here as i'm sure any important changes will be posted.

Chicago13

Was able to get look at the "new" CPD District/Area realignments. 3 Districts are being eliminated, but will be "re-born" in other areas of the city. Eliminated Districts are 23,24,25. Re-located will be 13th District (The current 25th District), 19th (Taking over 23rd District and current 19th District {Wilson Ave. will be the north border, east to lakefront, west to current border, south to Fullerton}. This will be a very busy area, especially during the summer with all the night life. The 21st District will be re-located to the current 24th District. The 2nd District will take over the current 21st District, and the north border will be the Stevenson Expressway (24th st.-south of McCormick Place} The 1st District will be the primary District for McCormick Place, which will be busy during the G8/NATO Summit in May. The 12th District will take over the old 13th District, and some modifications on it's south and southeast border with the 1st and 9th District.

Detective Areas will be North-Central-South, and have heard of a city-wide Homicide Unit too. Their will also be Patrol Areas which will be seperate from Detective Areas. Look for Radio Identification Numbers to be reassigned too.

I'll be awaiting Radio Zone modifications with all these changes. The larger the District, the likelihood of a single Zone being assigned. I've been told the second radio upgrades will be coming, and with that the "new" CPD Zones (14,15,16) will be added...both narrow and wide band.

Looks like a whole lotta changes for both Fire and Police in the coming year. Fortunately, very little encryption, or "non-monitorable" systems being installed. Visitors will have to keep an eye here as i'm sure any important changes will be posted.

Have you heard anything as to when these changes start taking effect? The only thing I've heard is that the 19th/23rd district merger is supposed to take place January/February. Nothing specific.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

I don't know how this ended up under this thread, as I thought I started a new Subject thread. Mods, can you move it to it's own thread or do I have to copy, paste, delete original?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been able to update the Database as i'm awaiting conformation on a few of our channels. I've been told that not all the repeaters are turned on yet, but they appear to be simplex based upon my un-scientific tests.

New Digital UHF Channels:

EMS-Main: 477.5125 (NAC...293)

EMS-Englewood: 478.4625 (NAC..293)

Fire-Main: 477.7875 (NAC...293)

Fire-Englewood: 478.2125 (NAC...293)

Fire-City Wide: 476.6875 (NAC..293)

Joint-OPS: 477.9875 (NAC...293)...****Original Channel Designation was OEMC****

New Confirmed Simplex UHF Analog Channels:

Admin: 462.975 (CTCSS..156.7)...yes, this is the current EMS Command.

Fireground: 458.025 (CTCSS...203.5)...yes, this is the current Special Events 5.

EMS Command: 458.175 (CTCSS..225.7)

Fire Command: 458.125 (CTCSS...218.1)

Fire-Tactical: 476.1375 (CTCSS..97.4)

OPS-8: 476.2875 (CTCSS... 69.3)

OPS-9: 479.2875 (CTCSS..74.4)

OPS-10: 477.6625 (CTCSS...79.7)

OPS-11: 480.6625 (CTCSS..85.4)

***** We also have additional channels..Metro 1-4, and a few others I don't see us using much. Their are approximately 26 different Zones on the radios, including wideband and narrowband. Most channels are the same in all the different Zones, with different layouts.***

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Digital Radio ID's

I've been also experimenting with various ambulances that have had their apparatus radios updated to the Digital channels. It appears the apparatus' will be using their official number. For example, if you see Amb. 12, their apparatus number showing on the passenger or driver door is C-062. They have incorporated that into the Mobile Radio ID. If you have this feature available and activated, you'll see i5062009...the 2nd,3rd-,4th number will represent the apparatus number. and the last 3 numbers will be 009 if it's an apparatus radio. I've seen i5133009 come up (wrong Zone they were on), but i'd know that is was apparatus C-133 calling, just need to see what ambulance that was.

For the 30 day trial, Engines i've seen ID with i1xxxxxx, Trucks with i2xxxxxx, EMS Field Chiefs i4xxxxxx. If the pattern continues, the apparatus radios will utilize their 3 number apparatus number (2nd-3rd-4th) followed by 009. The portables were different and they showed the actual company (2nd-3rd-4th) followed by 001-005.
Example would be Amb. 39 (i5097009---Apparatus Radio)...i5039001 (EMS Officer radio)...i5039002 (Fire Paramedic Radio).

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
So if a rig gets reasigned they will have to change the programming to match the Shops # vs the rig # ?

Say in a year Amb 12 gets a new rig. Old 12 goes to a spare or say sent to Amb 66 ( just an example) will they have to change the programming or is that something that they change on the console at OEMC?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So if a rig gets reasigned they will have to change the programming to match the Shops # vs the rig # ?

Say in a year Amb 12 gets a new rig. Old 12 goes to a spare or say sent to Amb 66 ( just an example) will they have to change the programming or is that something that they change on the console at OEMC?

The rig number (C-062), will remain the same on the console, unless it's new permamanent ambulance. Our spares are clearly marked on the doors and the rear of the vehicle...C-078 comes to mind. (i5078009) will be the Radio ID.

If Amb. 12 received "new permamnent ambulance" and the apparatus number was C-150, you'd have to update the Radio ID to show Amb. 12 from (i5062009) to (i5150009). I believe then they'd update the console at the OEMC since it's a new permanent assigned ambulance.

This is the way it's looking for apparatus radios, but time will tell. Let's say Eng. 1 has apparatus D-637. If they follow this pattern the Radio ID should be (i1637009). If Truck 1 has appararus E-360, it looks like (i2360009) would be the Radio ID. From what I was told, the fire apparatus won't be getting mobile radios installed until after the changeover takes place. If that's the case, then portable radio ID's will be used: i1xxx(001-005) for Engines...i2xxx(001-005) for Trucks...i4xxx(001-002) for Chiefs.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Additional Information

***If someone would like to add thses to the database and clean up the rest***. I went through all the Zones on the radio and used the Close Call feature. When I inquired about which channels were going to be using repeaters, their was a couple that the person could not confirm. We also have the CPD Zones, City-Wides, Narrowband Zones (Including the "new" Zones 14,15,16). With the exception of maybe a few channels (On my initial list I had a "Media" Channel, but wasn't to be found in any of the Zones on the radio I had). Once we get our "assigned" canary yellow radio back, i'll go through it again.

This is the "New" Chicago Fire Dept. Digital/Analog Radio Frequencies:

Fireground: 458.025 (CTCSS...203.5)...yes, this is the current Special Events 5.

Fire-Tactical: 473.1625 (CTCSS..97.4) ****CORRECTED****

Utilities: 458.075 (CTCSS..210.7)

Special Events-1: 478.500 (CTCSS...103.5)

Special Events-2: 481.500 (CTCSS...110.9)

U-Call: 453.2125 (CTCSS..156.7) ***Input: 458.2125***

U-Tac 1: 453.4625 (CTCSS..156.7) ***Input 458.4625**

U-Tac 2: 453.7125 (CTCSS..156.7) **Input 458.7125**

U-Tac 3: 453.8625 (CTCSS..156.7 **Input 458.8625***

Metro-1: 453.950 (CTCSS..141.3) **Input 458.950***

Metro-2: 472.9375 (CTCSS..127.3) **Input 475.9375**

Metro-3: 460.600 (CTCSS..156.7) **Input 465.600***

Metro-4: 460.625 (CTCSS...156.7) ** Input 465.625**

Fire Tac: 470.1625 (CTCSS.. 97.4) ***Input 473.1625...this "might" be a repeatered frequency***

CTA-Fire: 460.0625 (CTCSS..203.5) ***Input 465.0625...this "might" be a repeatered frequency**

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
***If someone would like to add thses to the database and clean up the rest***. I went through all the Zones on the radio and used the Close Call feature. When I inquired about which channels were going to be using repeaters, their was a couple that the person could not confirm. We also have the CPD Zones, City-Wides, Narrowband Zones (Including the "new" Zones 14,15,16). With the exception of maybe a few channels (On my initial list I had a "Media" Channel, but wasn't to be found in any of the Zones on the radio I had). Once we get our "assigned" canary yellow radio back, i'll go through it again.

This is the "New" Chicago Fire Dept. Digital/Analog Radio Frequencies:

Fire-Tactical: 473.1625 (CTCSS..97.4) ****CORRECTED****

Utilities: 458.075 (CTCSS..210.7)

Special Events-1: 478.500 (CTCSS...103.5)

Special Events-2: 481.500 (CTCSS...110.9)

U-Call: 453.2125 (CTCSS..156.7) ***Input: 458.2125***

U-Tac 1: 453.4625 (CTCSS..156.7) ***Input 458.4625**

U-Tac 2: 453.7125 (CTCSS..156.7) **Input 458.7125**

U-Tac 3: 453.8625 (CTCSS..156.7 **Input 458.8625***

Metro-1: 453.950 (CTCSS..141.3) **Input 458.950***

Metro-2: 472.9375 (CTCSS..127.3) **Input 475.9375**

Metro-3: 460.600 (CTCSS..156.7) **Input 465.600***

Metro-4: 460.625 (CTCSS...156.7) ** Input 465.625**

Fire Tac: 470.1625 (CTCSS.. 97.4) ***Input 473.1625...this "might" be a repeatered frequency***

CTA-Fire: 460.0625 (CTCSS..203.5) ***Input 465.0625...this "might" be a repeatered frequency**

I did see some of these were added to the Database, while others were not. My "suggestion" to the Database Administrator is to re-label these in their own section as I have listed them here. Maybe have a Chicago Fire Dept. (Future) Digital/Analog System. I noticed the "new" Admin, Fireground,EMS Command, U-Tac's, Metro Channels, "new" Special Events channels were not added. If these were all put under one section, it would be easier to find and even though they may be "duplicates" with the current system, it would be consolidated in one location for users to find.

cubn

Database Admin
I did see some of these were added to the Database, while others were not. My "suggestion" to the Database Administrator is to re-label these in their own section as I have listed them here. Maybe have a Chicago Fire Dept. (Future) Digital/Analog System. I noticed the "new" Admin, Fireground,EMS Command, U-Tac's, Metro Channels, "new" Special Events channels were not added. If these were all put under one section, it would be easier to find and even though they may be "duplicates" with the current system, it would be consolidated in one location for users to find.
That makes sense as I didn't want to change the ones currently assigned for other purposes. Ultimately I see the Fire and EMS being together in a single section once the T-band system is in place but I'm open to suggestions.

If any of the old Chicago Fire freqs need to be updated in the database (aren't used anymore or description is inaccurate), let me know or submit an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.