Chicago, IL -- Thieves Break Into Cars Using Mysterious ‘Black Box’

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

"...In Chicago, surveillance video shows a thief pointing a small box-like device at a car door. Within seconds, the car unlocks, the alarm is disabled and the thief simply opens the passenger door and easily takes the valuables.... ...authorities in Texas have apparently seized one of the devices" -- CBS Chicago

Thieves Break Into Cars Using Mysterious ‘Black Box' -- CBS Chicago

(Mods, I thought there was another related-thread/post in the forums, but I couldn't find it. Please move this as appropriate.)

slicerwizard

EMF pulse generator. Confuses car electronics into thinking door unlock button was pressed. That's why you shouldn't use high impedance inputs, kids.

QDP2012

"As part of a talk on the insecurity of wireless devices at the Black Hat security conference later this week, Cesare plans to reveal a technique that could allow anyone to spoof the signal from a wireless key fob and unlock a car with no physical trace, using a codebreaking attack that takes as little as a few minutes to perform. “I can use this to lock, unlock, open the trunk,” says Cesare, an Australian researcher for the security firm Qualys. “It effectively defeats the security of the keyless entry.” -- Wired.com

Watch This Wireless Hack Pop a Car’s Locks in Minutes -- Wired.com

Status
Not open for further replies.