Chicago Il

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
I well be in the Chicago area on May 13-15 before going to Dayton Is there a scanner radio shop in chicago? where I can buy a book on freqs instead of printing everything off the inter net ? MY work wouldget mad if I print a thoundsand pages

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You'd be better off using software that imports the data from RR right into your scanner.

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
What ever I can Police fire State Patrol I did print out about 17 pages of ISP but there is so much Iam confused on what to listen to

I do have a BC-15 can any one send me a file? MY flight leaves at 12pm on the 13th of May

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I always enjoy these posts as everyone seems to know what you want to listen to. My advice to visitors to Chicago, which normally is they stay downtown, is to listen to Zone 4 on the Chicago Police. This covers the 1st District which is downtown. Fire-North and EMS-North also covers this area. Unless you are truly familiar with CPD lingo, most of the other stuff makes no sense. Keep it simple I say. Te CPD trunking system is fading away daily, so I wouldn't bother. Of course, if you're into drive-thrus i'm sure someone has that file too...LOL! Enjoy your stay....

Ch1ronTL34

werinshades said:
I always enjoy these posts as everyone seems to know what you want to listen to. My advice to visitors to Chicago, which normally is they stay downtown, is to listen to Zone 4 on the Chicago Police. This covers the 1st District which is downtown. Fire-North and EMS-North also covers this area. Unless you are truly familiar with CPD lingo, most of the other stuff makes no sense. Keep it simple I say. Te CPD trunking system is fading away daily, so I wouldn't bother. Of course, if you're into drive-thrus i'm sure someone has that file too...LOL! Enjoy your stay....

How is the lingo for Zone 4 any different from the lingo from the other zones? Basically what I hear for all the zones is:

Dispatch: 219
Unit 219: 219
Dispatch: Go to a domestic on XXXX Avenue
Unit 219: 10-4

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ch1ronTL34 said:
How is the lingo for Zone 4 any different from the lingo from the other zones? Basically what I hear for all the zones is:

Dispatch: 219
Unit 219: 219
Dispatch: Go to a domestic on XXXX Avenue
Unit 219: 10-4

The CPD Trunking, City-Wides is what I was referring too. TRU Comapny A-E, SORT Units, Forensic Services , Narcotics Surveillances etc. If you're coming to visit, I don't suspect most are going to sit in a hotel room or walk around the loop listening to their scanners. If they do, I would think since you don't know the cities neighborhoods or districts, you'd be more likely to wonder what Beat 112 or Engine 13 or Amb. 42 would be doing..or at least I would think so (Zone 4, Fire-North, EMS-North).
As far as the lingo comment, it's alot more than that. Chicago is pretty much easy to understand on all Zones and City-Wides. No matter what Midnightcaller decides to listen to, I hope he enjoys the city and the sites.

Ch1ronTL34

I don't listen to much CPD trunking. I imagine it's a little less formal, though I could be very wrong. You are correct werinshades, my lingo description was very general. There's a lot I don't understand, such as RD numbers and events but that's a topic for another thread.

If you don't want to program frequencies, you could do a search of the 460-465 Mhz band to get most of the Chicago Police dispatchers and City-Wides. I don't find listening to Chicago Fire Department very interesting, but that's only my opinion.

Enjoy your stay, midnightcaller. Check out Wildfire Steakhouse on W. Adams St. if you're looking for an awesome (though somewhat pricey) meal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.