Chicago OEMC 800 MHz talk group question

Lllsssrrr000

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if the following talk groups are in use, are in the clear or encrypted
CPD incident one.
CPD incident two
CPD marine unit, car to car
CPD swat 81
CPD event one.

MtGreenRdo

Anyone know if the following talk groups are in use, are in the clear or encrypted
CPD incident one.
CPD incident two
CPD marine unit, car to car
CPD swat 81
CPD event one.
Incident 1 & 2 - clear
SWAT81 and Event one - encrypted
Marine and car to car it depends...

Chicagomac

Premium Subscriber
Ok my questions is this:
What scanner can I use to monitor the Project 25 Phase II 800 MHz simulcast system the fire department is currently using?
I currently have Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 but I’m told even though they are compatible for the P25 phase ll system they can not scan simulcast systems.

N9JIG

Sheriff
While the TRX-1 and 2 will work on simulcast systems it is really hit or miss whether they will work good enough to actually hear them successfully. In my experience they will work fine today and then tomorrow with no changes won't work at all. When they do work the reception can be spotty. There are some tricks than will occasionally help make it less bad but you are much better off with an SDS100/200 or the Unication G-Series receivers.

Chicagomac

Premium Subscriber
While the TRX-1 and 2 will work on simulcast systems it is really hit or miss whether they will work good enough to actually hear them successfully. In my experience they will work fine today and then tomorrow with no changes won't work at all. When they do work the reception can be spotty. There are some tricks than will occasionally help make it less bad but you are much better off with an SDS100/200 or the Unication G-Series receivers.
The only issue I have is I wanted to go from 2 radios to one but looks like I won't be able to because Chicago FD switches from the P25 Phase 2 to the Digital 400 MHZ almost hourly. Ill try to find a decent radio to use for the P25 system.

Thank you for the information!

Chicagomac

Premium Subscriber
Are those the only ones that will monitor the P25 Phase 2 simulcast system? I might try to find a scanner to just monitor that.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The only issue I have is I wanted to go from 2 radios to one but looks like I won't be able to because Chicago FD switches from the P25 Phase 2 to the Digital 400 MHZ almost hourly. Ill try to find a decent radio to use for the P25 system.

The SDS100/200 will work for the simulcast systems as well as non-simulcast P25 and analog stuff so you can pretty much do it all on one scanner.