Chicago PD Receives Most Unprofessional Communications Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzTac

And the 2022 award for Most Unprofessional Communications by a Law Enforcement Agency goes to........ Chicago PD!!

From using an antiquated overloaded radio system, to officers who constantly fail to understand and utilize effective radio communications, to dispatchers who consistently use unnecessary and repetitive language, to a complete lack of ten codes usage, to outright unprofessional language over the air Chicago PD checks the boxes in all categories of unprofessional communications.

It's astounding more officers' safety is not jeopardized by this radio practice. It's equally astonishing that the administration utterly fails to act in any way to improve radio equipment, practices, and procedures. (One would have thought with Chicago's favorite son in the White House a few years back, he would have floated them a few billion dollars of UASI funds to build a new radio system. Then again, maybe he did and as usual that money went to line the pockets of their politicians...)

In any event, congratulations Chicago PD - you set the standard for what NOT to do when it comes to radio communications!

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Late last night, and into the wee hours of this morning, there were repeater pirates keying up and making brief utterances that included the name of George Floyd, f-bombs, etc. on CPD Zone 4. A real shame that anyone would feel it's OK to do something like this. Officers and dispatchers showed restraint and professionalism in ignoring these bad actors until one officer told them to stop it. Hopefully, P25 (and unfortunately encryption) will stop these criminal transmissions.

LD723

Late last night, and into the wee hours of this morning, there were repeater pirates keying up and making brief utterances that included the name of George Floyd, f-bombs, etc. on CPD Zone 4. A real shame that anyone would feel it's OK to do something like this. Officers and dispatchers showed restraint and professionalism in ignoring these bad actors until one officer told them to stop it. Hopefully, P25 (and unfortunately encryption) will stop these criminal transmissions.
Is there a recording or archive time from such actions last night? Couldn't find any myself the archive list is long lol

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I also heard the chaotic radio traffic. I guess all those repetitive clicks I was hearing were those pirates. That was uncalled for. But the dispatcher "seemed" like he wanted everyone to be quite. Almost like he wanted the radio to himself. Just my thought. The majority of what I heard was him and not the officers. They all deserve praise.

LD723

I also heard the chaotic radio traffic. I guess all those repetitive clicks I was hearing were those pirates. That was uncalled for. But the dispatcher "seemed" like he wanted everyone to be quite. Almost like he wanted the radio to himself. Just my thought. The majority of what I heard was him and not the officers. They all deserve praise.
Just going P25 conventional would shut off pretty much most if not all of those dudes with baoefengs. Many of em wouldn't even know how to use Motorola cps lol that's why we never hear of unauthorized transmissions on lapd's P25 system

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
If you know anything about CPD, you will know that they are shifting to a P25 system and going full time encryption. They are in the process of doing this now and you can read all about in the Chicago area threads.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Definitely the trend here in National Capitol Region. Not rolling out as quickly as they wanted, but with the Boomers retiring and GenX not wanting to stick around either with all the anti-police policies being put in place here, the plain language campaign will meet less resistance.

You'll find a lack of 10-codes in most places these days. A lot of departments are favoring plain talk now with a few exceptions.

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
They're pretty much gone in the Indianapolis metro unless they're discussing sensitive subjects such as guns (10-32), license/warrant checks (10-27/10-99) or a mental subject (10-96)

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
Now that they're patched into Chicago priority there's always an open mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.