Chicago police now have 13 scanner feeds online

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Not for long.. the new Phase II P25 system is rolling out and going to be Encrypted

The Phase 2 system has been active for awhile, not "rolling out" and almost everything is encrypted there including all Tact Teams (no more "go to 5"), Detective areas, Organized Crime Section, IAD, Marine Unit, Mayoral Detail...to name a few.

But yes, between the online feeds, the rogue radios, the "twitter" morons, it pushed them away from "being open" to closing up like many other departments.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Just like all the law enforcement agencies in DuPage County dispatched by DU-COMM and ACDC. Sometime this year, possibly sooner than we originally knew. I would say that by late spring/early summer the encryption will begin. This is just speculation on my part due to what I've heard "in the community."

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
For all intents and purposes Dave.. Its a done deal...

Many of us are aware change is coming, just updating the OP. Radios are still being programmed, consoles and sites are being updated, and it will be a "slow migration" as we did on CFD. The city doesn't move that fast, and they're hoping by years end to have it done. Zones and citywides are still analog so enjoy the show :LOL:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Have there been any future plans for the current analog 460.000 MHz system CPD is currently utilizing? Back-up system(s), or will all networks in this spectrum become totally deprecated?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Have there been any future plans for the current analog 460.000 MHz system CPD is currently utilizing? Back-up system(s), or will all networks in this spectrum become totally deprecated?

I've been hearing encrypted traffic on Area-Wide 2 (460.4625) for awhile, and it appears to be a patch to one of the Zones. They have some dual-band radios for the specialized units and the costs involved to equip all the districts with them might have been too expensive? Maybe reallocate the current frequencies to P25?

jasonk

Feed Provider
Great to hear that they are providing the feeds online. Is there any plans for a delay - or a kill button that they may use for sensitive times ? Just curious if they are broadcasting with any caveats ?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Great to hear that they are providing the feeds online. Is there any plans for a delay - or a kill button that they may use for sensitive times ? Just curious if they are broadcasting with any caveats ?
I would imagine both items you mentioned will be part of their official broadcast process.

I've worked closely with the city on this rollout and their reasoning is openness on the part of the City and CPD. That's all I can really say at this point . More news and official details will be provided by the City of Chicago once they transition to encryption. But it is great news for the citizens of Chicago that the department and leadership recognize the benefits of openness of the general routine dispatch operations of CPD being made available to the general public.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Little birdy says 20-30 min delay on all feeds once it is on the new system.......and the birdy is reliable

Just yesterday you posted

Not for long.. the new Phase II P25 system is rolling out and going to be Encrypted

So, I'd take whatever this guy says with the tiniest grain of salt and wait for any official announcements from the City of Chicago or us.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry but I don't believe that for a second.
Did you not read what I said earlier?

I have personally worked with the City of Chicago on the implementation of these 13 officially broadcasted feeds. So you can believe what you want, but your beliefs are "alternative facts" and have zero bearing on what is actually occuring.

Those feeds are intended to Broadcast Chicago PD's 13 zone dispatch channels when they go live on their new system. Period. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.