Chicago Police Unit List

Status
Not open for further replies.

camdenc2006

I know this is a little off-topic but does anyone know of a list that exists of CPD vehicle unit numbers and what district or unit they are assigned to? Just so I know what vehicles are what in pictures

ltginrage

I know this is a little off-topic but does anyone know of a list that exists of CPD vehicle unit numbers and what district or unit they are assigned to? Just so I know what vehicles are what in pictures
You mean a list of identifiers like this?:

Common or notable callsigns heard apart from the standard beat cars:
Car 3 - Superintendent
Car 4 - First Deputy Superintendent
Car 5 - Chief of Patrol
Car 6 - Deputy Superintendent of Patrol
Car 13 - possibly Deputy Chief of the Special Functions Division
Car 41-43
41=Area Central Deputy Chief
42=Area South Deputy Chief
43=Area North Deputy Chief
3200s are Lake Shore Dr Units
5800 units - Forensic Services (evidence technicians, crime lab)
7300 units - Public Transit Detail
4600 units - SWAT team
4900 units - Mounted Unit
##00 - district commander
##00X - district executive officer
##01 - desk sergeant
##99 - watch commander
51xx - Area South Detectives (Area 1) (Unit 610)
52xx - Area Central Detectives (Area 2) (Unit 620)
53xx - Area North Detectives (Area 3) (Unit 630)
71xx - 73xx units Area 1 through Area 3 Special Victims Detectives.
Special victims follows the *old unit identification plan* for Detective assignments by area.
71xxs is Area North,
72xx is Area Central,
73xx is Area South.
UCXX is undercover
M# units - Marine Unit
PH# - Police Helicopter 1 or 2

CPD Callsigns work like this:
The first two numbers are the district number,
the third number is the sector,
the last number is the beat.
Example: 1721….. 17 is the district, 2 is the sector, 1 is the beat.
17th district, second sector and first beat = 1721. Chicago has 22 districts. We used to have 25. Chicago used to have five detective areas, we now have three. Some specialized teams have a letter in their callsign after the first two numbers. For instance, 53G22A would be the area 3 (Area North) gun and gang team.

nsrailfan6130

If you mean the car # like this (7498) I believe that's the "Shop Number." Don't take it as gospel according to me, but, that would sound more logical. A lot of the bigger cities like New York, L.A., Detroit, etc. use this kind of set up.

Attachments

• 668a53f91d22d39e8ae23dde717a19cb.jpg
    668a53f91d22d39e8ae23dde717a19cb.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 32

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If you mean the car # like this (7498) I believe that's the "Shop Number." Don't take it as gospel according to me, but, that would sound more logical. A lot of the bigger cities like New York, L.A., Detroit, etc. use this kind of set up.

CPD refers to it as the "outside number". "Tell the Sergeant I'm using outside 12345"..

I'm new here, and was checking everything out when I saw this post. I know this is from March, but wanted to help out if I could. Here's a link to two PDF files that are believed to be current. These files total 217 pages altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.