Chicago Public Safety & Services - 800 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Is this system still used? I have it in the scanner and never seem to hear anything from it. I try and listen at all different times of the day but still nothing of interest. I have heard this (352 016 A MayorProtect Mayor & Dignitary Protection Law Tac ) maybe only 3 times. Nothing was really said that I could understand. Just real quick voice transmission.

MFD4305

You're not likely to hear much from Pennsylvania! :lol: On a serious note, I regularly hear the Marine Base and the Mayor's Detail. I haven't hard any of the other TG's in months.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Nextel's are used more often than the the trunking system. The surveillance techniques have also changed and more search warrants are being executed based upon CI (Confidential Informants) than surveillance of old. The database is outdated as well as the talkgroups that have come up, are no longer Narc-A , Narc-B...etc.

ERIC-KC9MHE

Premium Subscriber
I really enjoy listening to the 800mhz trunked system. You don't hear a lot of traffic compared to a zone or citywide but when they do get to talking it's usually pretty interesting. I hear some surveillance/stakeout stuff and lots of little drug busts during the daytime.

Today was an interesting day if you caught this (Car in Chicago River on Near Southwest Side - Chicago Breaking News) car in the river. I listened as the marine units responded.

Squad10

Nextel's are used more often than the the trunking system. The surveillance techniques have also changed and more search warrants are being executed based upon CI (Confidential Informants) than surveillance of old. The database is outdated as well as the talkgroups that have come up, are no longer Narc-A , Narc-B...etc.

More search warrants being executed results from (most) CI's being financially compensated for information, others do it for the thrill. Makes establishing PC alot easier than surveillance of old!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
More search warrants being executed results from (most) CI's being financially compensated for information, others do it for the thrill. Makes establishing PC alot easier than surveillance of old!

Not really being compensated with money, but more "flipping" going on then ever before. They ASA's , Gang Investigators etc. have much different ways of establishing probable cause, and getting judges to sign off on warrants has changed dramatically....at least here in Chicago. If you listen to the Zones, pay close attention to what unit is executing the search warrant. That will give you an idea of what they're looking for...bag of weed or coke isn't cutting it anymore. They have to bring in quantity now. Getting a gun during a warrant is a major point for the team.
You will not hear a majority of this on any Trunk system either. The activity on the OCD Trunk (RR calls is Public Safety) is almost not worth programming in. The talkgroups on the database are outdated, because they're not being used. Eric mentioned hearing "some surveillance/stakeout stuff and lots of little drug busts during the daytime" which is somewhat true. The teams you hear working aren't Narcotics Units of old, but maybe with some good listening and a few scanners goin you'll be able to figure it out. Mayor Detail, Marine Unit are the most active Talkgroups, but if you're looking for the old traffic, it's gone.

KSJ745

Why the switch to Nextel? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.