Chicago Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpdan

I am looking to listen to CFD and have not bought a digital scanner. I was looking at the Bearcat BCD436HP or BCD325P2. Looking for pros and cons to the units and recommendations. Also, I see that there are so many add ons and updates to purchase for these units. Are any of them needed to listen? Thanks in advance

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Not needed for CFD. I hope you are either in the city or very nearby as they can be difficult to copy if you are in one of the outlying suburbs like I am. I use my 325P2 by the way.

RBMTS

For listening to CFD, the 325P2 would work fine for you. You don't need any upgrades for DMR or NXDN. The same if you want to listen to CPD. Both agencies are using conventional channels. If you want to listen to other agencies, they might be on the statewide Starcom trunking system. Many Starcom sites are simulcast and the the best scanners to handle this system is the SDS100 or SDS200.

Mpdan

Thank you. Yes I am in the city and I would probably only be listening to cpd and cfd. I miss having the plain old analog scanner haha. No idea what I'm doing now.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. Yes I am in the city and I would probably only be listening to cpd and cfd. I miss having the plain old analog scanner haha. No idea what I'm doing now.

The database is up to date and accurate too. The fireground channels are simplex and you'll have to be in close range to monitor them. If you have any interest in listening to O'Hare or Midway, you'll have to program the Chicago's P25 trunking system. The main site is simulcast and has the best range and might require the SDS series as mentioned.

Mpdan

Any help with ease of use/programming. I have looked at some reviews and like the 436hp but if one is easier than the other to program and use that would make a world of difference. Also, I have seen that the 436 has the potential to progress if/when system updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.