Chicago tgid 24608

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
2,130
Location
Hammond, IN
Does anyone have info on tgid 24608? Didn't find a listing for it in the database.

Whatever division / unit / or whatever it is these cops belong to, they are three of the rudest police officers I have ever heard on the radio.

They were talking smack about the south side being "stuck in the 1980's;" how the south side reminded them of some of the worse parts of New Jersey; and I won't even go into the off color jokes they were telling.

Totally inappropriate for police officers if you ask me.
 

werinshades

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
2,879
Location
Chicago , IL
SouthSideScannerGuy said:
Does anyone have info on tgid 24608? Didn't find a listing for it in the database.

Whatever division / unit / or whatever it is these cops belong to, they are three of the rudest police officers I have ever heard on the radio.

They were talking smack about the south side being "stuck in the 1980's;" how the south side reminded them of some of the worse parts of New Jersey; and I won't even go into the off color jokes they were telling.

Totally inappropriate for police officers if you ask me.
Soooo wondering why it's been so quiet as of late??? It's because they have been using Nextel Group Connect as their primary source of communication. Haven't been paying attention have you? Well except to "rude police officers on the radio". They are leaving this system slowly. Please man get a grip here. Keep posting away on things you hear on this system and feel the need to rant how you're so offended and don't worry, encryption and Nextel here we come ! I heard this conversation and found it very funny actually. I'm a southsider and their right, we are stuck in the 80's. It's the famous northside-southside debate. Take a breath and if it "offends" you that much, i'm sure their's a McDonalds just waiting for your sensitive ears...geesh!!! Keep what you hear on this system to yourself as I do..
 

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
2,130
Location
Hammond, IN
werinshades said:
Soooo wondering why it's been so quiet as of late??? It's because they have been using Nextel Group Connect as their primary source of communication. Haven't been paying attention have you? Well except to "rude police officers on the radio". They are leaving this system slowly. Please man get a grip here. Keep posting away on things you hear on this system and feel the need to rant how you're so offended and don't worry, encryption and Nextel here we come ! I heard this conversation and found it very funny actually. I'm a southsider and their right, we are stuck in the 80's. It's the famous northside-southside debate. Take a breath and if it "offends" you that much, i'm sure their's a McDonalds just waiting for your sensitive ears...geesh!!! Keep what you hear on this system to yourself as I do..
Well, you may be stuck in the 80's, but this southsider sure isn't. :D

I wasn't offended, just disappointed at their lack of professionalism.

And yeah, I'm sure there are more polite people working at McD's than at the CPD :D

However, I will keep my rants to myself in the future, or just share them with my wife.

SSSG :)
 
Last edited:

RADIOGUY2002

Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
1,102
Location
Chicago Burbs
its people like you

Its people like you that kill the hobby for the rest of us, don't repost their conversations or complian on their nature. If their boss feel its bad, somthing will be done about it or the oemc that monitors it will handle it. Its police action in the raw, what more could you ask for. Switch the channel if it hurts you sensentive ears.

Thanks for taking another great system to encryption, ie nextel

We always said it was the big boy system, so if you can not hack well I think it is rather obivious where you stand.
 

goatse

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
20
Keep your mouth shut

SouthSideScannerGuy said:
Does anyone have info on tgid 24608? Didn't find a listing for it in the database.

Whatever division / unit / or whatever it is these cops belong to, they are three of the rudest police officers I have ever heard on the radio.

They were talking smack about the south side being "stuck in the 1980's;" how the south side reminded them of some of the worse parts of New Jersey; and I won't even go into the off color jokes they were telling.

Totally inappropriate for police officers if you ask me.
Totally inappropriate for a scanner listener to be posting everything he hears on the internet. Dude, you should not be re-broadcasting what you hear on your scanner. If you keep posting everything you hear on this board, that whole system is going to go encrypted or to nextels. How many people have to tell you to keep what you hear to yourself before you actually do it? Please, do us all a favor and STFU
 

Statevillian

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
252
Location
Chicago, IL.
Don't count on it!

werinshades said:
I'd vote just to delete the whole thread. Is this possible?

Well, no one deleted a similar thread where it was just about the same commentary. I outright asked for the poster or moderator to delete it and it was percieved as "No Problem". But, it is. It is a serious problem when people repeat what they are hearing on their scanners. As hoobyists, we listen. You don't like what you hear, then don't listen any more.

Here's the OTHER thread that should be deleted too...right here in Illinois.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100991
 

werinshades

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
2,879
Location
Chicago , IL
After reading SSScanner Guy's posts, I see he is very new at this. I'll give the benefit of the doubt as i'm sure it's a case of "frequency overload". We all know what this is...trying to listen to everything becuase "I now have all these frequencies I need to hear action!" Here's a tip from a veteran Chicago listener....slow down. Being too new and trying to monitor the OCD Trunking system is like trying to understand how to fly a space shuttle in a month. You really have no idea what you're listening to there based upon your previous posts. I suggest to monitor 1 Zone at a time. Yes this means place the scnner in a manual mode and sit and listen and take notes. This should give you a feel for the Chicago Police Dept. as these are the front line beat officers that handle the daily grind. You may pick up the lingo in a day or two, but this should help. Stay away from the OCD Trunking as this will become quite boring over time. I also confirmed what I mentioned before as this is going to be used as a back up to the Nextel Group Connect in areas where it doesn't work. Stick with the basics..
 

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
2,130
Location
Hammond, IN
Forgive me, O Wise Ones, for I have sinned.

Sheesh, sorry to cause such an uproar. Had I known there were certain protocols to be followed, I never would have asked what I did.

Y'all can rest assured that this trunking virgin has made his last post in regards to anything dealing with talk groups.

At least 'werinshades' got it right; I'm still new to all of this. Thank you for your understanding. :)

To the rest of you; please bear with me as I learn all this new stuff. Thank you.

SSSG
 

werinshades

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
2,879
Location
Chicago , IL
SouthSideScannerGuy said:
Forgive me, O Wise Ones, for I have sinned.

Sheesh, sorry to cause such an uproar. Had I known there were certain protocols to be followed, I never would have asked what I did.

Y'all can rest assured that this trunking virgin has made his last post in regards to anything dealing with talk groups.

At least 'werinshades' got it right; I'm still new to all of this. Thank you for your understanding. :)

To the rest of you; please bear with me as I learn all this new stuff. Thank you.

SSSG
You have unfortunately touched on sacred ground...the OCD Trunking System. Due to the nature of the communications there, it's unique that this whole system is not encrypted. What you caught that day was a regular ritual to the rest of us. I've been regularly monitoring this system for a long time as it started off as the 3 channel trunking system and about 10 talkgroups. This system has grown over time and the talkgroups have grown. All this time, their have been few talkgroups that are encrypted. About 5 years ago, they were bringing in all radios so "they could be re-keyed". That is radio talk for encryption keys. The problem is if they all use different keys or one of the radios went bad, an operation could be compromised due to a communication breakdown. It was then decided to leave the radios "in the open", which is radio talk for un-encrypted which we all enjoy.
So yes, we are asking no postings on anything anyone hears on this system. The officers you hear are functioning in a "covert mode". Now I hope I don't insult you here, but "covert officers" and "Tact Officers" are different. Covert officers do not drive in umarked vehicles with M series plates. You wouldn't know who they are because they drive civilian vehicles without any identifying charesteristics. Tact officers are the ones mentioned above and are assigned to districts. I don't know you're extent of knowledge so I don't want to talk down to you or anything along that route. I'm more curious as to your location or District you live in? Your profile says Chicago suburbs so maybe thats why the CPD is a little more confusing. Just go slow like I said before. Pick any Zone and your bound to catch a shooting. This is where note taking comes to mind. Have fun at it but OCD is off limits....thanks.
 

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
2,130
Location
Hammond, IN
werinshades said:
You have unfortunately touched on sacred ground...the OCD Trunking System. Due to the nature of the communications there, it's unique that this whole system is not encrypted. What you caught that day was a regular ritual to the rest of us. I've been regularly monitoring this system for a long time as it started off as the 3 channel trunking system and about 10 talkgroups. This system has grown over time and the talkgroups have grown. All this time, their have been few talkgroups that are encrypted. About 5 years ago, they were bringing in all radios so "they could be re-keyed". That is radio talk for encryption keys. The problem is if they all use different keys or one of the radios went bad, an operation could be compromised due to a communication breakdown. It was then decided to leave the radios "in the open", which is radio talk for un-encrypted which we all enjoy.
So yes, we are asking no postings on anything anyone hears on this system. The officers you hear are functioning in a "covert mode". Now I hope I don't insult you here, but "covert officers" and "Tact Officers" are different. Covert officers do not drive in umarked vehicles with M series plates. You wouldn't know who they are because they drive civilian vehicles without any identifying charesteristics. Tact officers are the ones mentioned above and are assigned to districts. I don't know you're extent of knowledge so I don't want to talk down to you or anything along that route. I'm more curious as to your location or District you live in? Your profile says Chicago suburbs so maybe thats why the CPD is a little more confusing. Just go slow like I said before. Pick any Zone and your bound to catch a shooting. This is where note taking comes to mind. Have fun at it but OCD is off limits....thanks.
Got it. I'll definitely keep what I hear to myself from now on.

SSSG
 

werinshades

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
2,879
Location
Chicago , IL
chgomonitor said:
SouthSideScannerGuy said:
Does anyone have info on tgid 24608? Didn't find a listing for it in the database.

CPD Intelligence Unit "A" channel
That is incorrect as their has not been an Intelligence Unit for years.
 
Last edited:

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
422
Location
Chicago
CPD Intel / OCD Organization

K. Organized Crime Division
60 Chief/Organized Crime Division
61 Deputy Chief/Organized Crime Division
61A Commanding Officer/Criminal Enterprise Investigation Section
6100-6199 Criminal Enterprise Investigation Section
62 Commander/Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
6200-6299 Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
6400-6499 Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
63 Commander/Vice Control Section
6300-6399 Vice Control Section
65 Commander/Intelligence Section
6500-6599 Intelligence Section
 

KSJ745

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
104
Location
1121 So. State St. Chicago
chgomonitor said:
K. Organized Crime Division
60 Chief/Organized Crime Division
61 Deputy Chief/Organized Crime Division
61A Commanding Officer/Criminal Enterprise Investigation Section
6100-6199 Criminal Enterprise Investigation Section
62 Commander/Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
6200-6299 Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
6400-6499 Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
63 Commander/Vice Control Section
6300-6399 Vice Control Section
65 Commander/Intelligence Section
6500-6599 Intelligence Section
 

werinshades

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
2,879
Location
Chicago , IL
chgomonitor said:
K. Organized Crime Division
60 Chief/Organized Crime Division
61 Deputy Chief/Organized Crime Division
61A Commanding Officer/Criminal Enterprise Investigation Section
6100-6199 Criminal Enterprise Investigation Section
62 Commander/Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
6200-6299 Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section
6400-6499 Narcotics and Gang Investigation Section(Nope..Wrongo!)
63 Commander/Vice Control Section
6300-6399 Vice Control Section
65 Commander/Intelligence Section(Incorrect)
6500-6599 Intelligence Section (Incorrect)

These are outdated. Like I said, there is no Intelligence Section even with your outdated Radio Call Sign list. Ask anyone in CPD, the minute the "updated" Radio Call Sign list comes out, within a month they seem to change it. I will say this only about this controversial Talkgroup, it is NOT the "Intelligence Section". If you would like to add erroneous Talkgroup information to your scanner, I have no control of that. The RR info on this system is so fu**ed up, it's laughable. I made it my policy not to add or delete Talkgroups on this system despite my knowledge of it. If you dedicate time and effort and even some useful information coming from the press, you can peg the proper Beat Numbers of units etc. If you listen for a minute and decide "oh, those have to be Narcs" then by all means, put that information in your scanner. CPD isn't special, but it's a very large and complicated department to monitor and understand. I have no problem fielding questions in here as long as they truly pertain to the uniformed side of CPD. I will not corrrect or add to any covert operations, either CPD, DEA or anyone else I know functions in that capacity. This is truly an officer's safety issue more than a "holier than though" attitude. Enjoy listening to the system until we can no longer...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top