Chicgo Fire Dept. (2014 Updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Effective April 1st, 2014 a couple communications changes that some of the regular listeners might notice:

***Sector assignment designations will now be called Sector A-D to comply with NIMS standards. Sectors 1-4 will no longer be used.

***Progress Reports will be "at least" every 15 minutes until the incident is under control, then "at least" 30 minutes until all companies have picked up. The old standard was 10 minutes if you were watching a clock as you were listening.

This is a little older news, but we're using three different type of portable radios now with the same channel layout:

***XTS 5000's...used by Ambulance companies and firefighters.
***XTS 6000's..used by Fire Company Officers
***XTS 7000's...used by Chief Officers (Batt. Chiefs, EMS Field Chiefs, Exempt Chiefs)

Effective April 1st, 2014 a couple communications changes that some of the regular listeners might notice:

***Sector assignment designations will now be called Sector A-D to comply with NIMS standards. Sectors 1-4 will no longer be used.

***Progress Reports will be "at least" every 15 minutes until the incident is under control, then "at least" 30 minutes until all companies have picked up. The old standard was 10 minutes if you were watching a clock as you were listening.

This is a little older news, but we're using three different type of portable radios now with the same channel layout:

***XTS 5000's...used by Ambulance companies and firefighters.
***XTS 6000's..used by Fire Company Officers
***XTS 7000's...used by Chief Officers (Batt. Chiefs, EMS Field Chiefs, Exempt Chiefs)

Did you mean APX6000 and APX7000. That is neat to hear. I tried to listen from Peoria,IL but never heard anything. When I listen is when there is skip.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The P25 system is hard to hear even in the NW suburbs. It wasn't really designed to go much outside the city. The analog UHF stuff is still good as is the CPD. I listen on an XTS5000 in an XTVA with a phantom UHF gain or 1/4 wave NMO mount and its marginal at best in Lake county IL

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The P25 system is hard to hear even in the NW suburbs. It wasn't really designed to go much outside the city. The analog UHF stuff is still good as is the CPD. I listen on an XTS5000 in an XTVA with a phantom UHF gain or 1/4 wave NMO mount and its marginal at best in Lake county IL

Ok....sorry...I'll pass it along....lol!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't worry about it . I can hear it fine at work in the western Burbs. I was more directing it to the guy in Peoria.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The System is designed for use in the city. CFD rigs rarely ever leave the city and if they do its mutual aid to a bordering town. Even the ambulances that transport out of the city only go to towns that have hospitals that are close to the borders. You wouldn't find any rigs 20 miles out side the city on any kind of regular basis so why would they build a system that could be used that far out.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Here in Joliet I hear them 95% on my 996XT using a ChannelMaster 5094A up 35' using 60' of LMR400....My other scanners and antennas do not hear them at all....

JT-112

The System is designed for use in the city. CFD rigs rarely ever leave the city and if they do its mutual aid to a bordering town. Even the ambulances that transport out of the city only go to towns that have hospitals that are close to the borders. You wouldn't find any rigs 20 miles out side the city on any kind of regular basis so why would they build a system that could be used that far out.

You are correct, but still, Utica, IL says "hello."

No, that wasn't on a regular basis of course.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Extensive testing today on CFD 460.60 PL156.7, anyone know what this will be used for now that there on UHF digital.....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Subway testing occurring on Metro-3, Metro-4, CTA Fire, CPD CW-5 over the last few days. Checking receiver sites etc. We don't have a specific order for companies to switch to one of these channels "yet" if an incident occurs on the CTA.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Fast-Rescue Boat (6-8-8)

As of May 1st, 2014....Fast Rescue Boat 6-8-8 will be put in service and quartered at the Chicago Police Marine Safety Station located near Navy Pier.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Extensive testing occurring on 153.770 Metro-6 (the former CFD Englewood channel).

Will probably be used during the Taste of Chicago this week. Only Chief officers have capability to use this channel...V-Metro 1/2 are the "old" fire channels designation on the APX 7000 radios. City-Wide Fire/EMS Command are the "normal" channels used.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Any insight on the switch of the BLS rigs to ALS? Will they keep the same rig numbers or be added to the sequence of ALS rigs?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Any insight on the switch of the BLS rigs to ALS? Will they keep the same rig numbers or be added to the sequence of ALS rigs?

Per our new contract which has to be ratified by the City Council next month, Sept. 1st, 2014 will be the end of the BLS rigs. I don't know if they're going to renumber them yet to fall in line with the current numbering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.