• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Chick-fil-A on GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptDan

Not that it really means anything to anyone - Chick-fil-A in Ocala, Florida is using about a dozen Retrivs radios to support their employees in the parking lot, taking orders on tablets. Today - 01/26/2021 they were on 462.587 aka Channel 2. No clue if they were utilizing a PL code or not.

It appears the store is settling in for the long haul - as if it hasn't been a long haul so far - no customers allowed in dining room - Drive thru only - basically no parking permitted in their lot any longer. Appeared to be 2 spots still marked and roped off for customers to pull to the side if there was a problem or issue with their order. Twelve (12) employees working in the parking lot taking orders and payment. 8 of the 12 clearly had radios.

Just an FYO post - enjoy your day !

Reconrider

CaptDan

Yes - this was not about legal or any of that stuff - just an observation about radio use in Ocala, Florida. While downtown or center city Ocala seems to have one or two hotels that use FRS/GMRS radios, it's a pretty quiet area radio wise.

Happy Tuesday !

CaptDan

Yes, I didn't see the order by app line until I was already in line. For us Chick Fil A is a treat, about 30 miles from the homestead. Just happened to be in town today and it's always a treat, next time I will use the app, be even easier !

bharvey2

I think the use of bubble pack and similar cheap radios to support the new business models created by COVID is pretty common. I've heard quite a bit more activity on GMRS frequencies this past year. A local hospital was using GMRS radios (GMRS not FRS) to aid in their drive through COVID testing procedures. It took a couple of attempts between my wife and I but we finally got them to realize that transmitting patient medical information on a common repeater output wasn't in the best interest of the hospital or its patients. I think most of the problem is just ignorance not necessarily willful misuse by troublemakers. (Although there's some of that going around too)

CaptDan

As far as I know - Chick fil A 's use is perfectly legit and completely within FCC regulations for use of that frequency. If my post came across any other way I apologize to the forum and to Chick fil A, that was not my intention.

I was just posting to share the information, on the Gulf Coast of Florida here, is kinda like a radio quiet zone.

n1das

As far as I know - Chick fil A 's use is perfectly legit and completely within FCC regulations for use of that frequency. If my post came across any other way I apologize to the forum and to Chick fil A, that was not my intention.

I was just posting to share the information, on the Gulf Coast of Florida here, is kinda like a radio quiet zone.

What CaptDan said. Business use of FRS is legal. They are legal there, provided they are using the right equipment, i.e., using a properly certified FRS transceiver. 462.5875MHz is FRS and shared with GMRS.

The local CFA near me has been using Arcshell/Graeval/Baofeng BF-888S CCRs on the factory default frequencies. The most commonly used freq has been 462.325MHz and is not GMRS or FRS. Most likely unlicensed too.

n1das

I think the use of bubble pack and similar cheap radios to support the new business models created by COVID is pretty common. I've heard quite a bit more activity on GMRS frequencies this past year. A local hospital was using GMRS radios (GMRS not FRS) to aid in their drive through COVID testing procedures. It took a couple of attempts between my wife and I but we finally got them to realize that transmitting patient medical information on a common repeater output wasn't in the best interest of the hospital or its patients. I think most of the problem is just ignorance not necessarily willful misuse by troublemakers. (Although there's some of that going around too)

If they were using 22-channel bubble pack radios on the GMRS primaries then they are legal there. If using GMRS equipment (i.e., high power portables with detachable antenna, Part 90/95 commercial portables, etc.) then they would not be legal.

The GMRS primary channels are now part of FRS (and shared with GMRS) under the new Part 95 rules. FRS was updated in the new rules to reflect what the 22-channel bubble packs are today. The 22-channel bubble packs were reclassified simply as FRS radios instead of GMRS/FRS combo radios. No new GMRS/FRS combo radios will be FCC certified under the new rules.

I have heard some of this same activity at a hospital while searching/scanning and waiting in the car while my wife was at a doctor's appointment. COVID rules forced me to wait in the car. I agree that it's not in the hospital's or patient's best interest to be transmitting patient medical info in the clear on GMRS/FRS channels. If I were in charge there I would have them use Motorola DTR or DLR 900MHz FHSS digital radios on a private talkgroup instead of the default public talkgroups. While the DTRs/DLRs are technically not encrypted they can be made VERY secure. They are not monitorable on any consumer grade receiver such as a scanner (so don't even bother trying).

I have noticed a general increase in business type activity on all FRS channels in my travels. The kids playing annoying call tones on FRS are still there but legit business use of FRS appears to be on the increase. (The) Home Depot sells a ruggedized DeWalt model FRS radio which I expect would be popular with contractors at jobsites. DeWalt also sells a multi-unit charger for them. These radios may becoming popular for small business type use. For users of 2-way radio on a shoestring budget for on-site small business use, FRS fills this niche.

Last edited:

KK6HRW

Out of curiosity, how did you know that you were hearing a GMRS (not FRS) radio at the hospital?

Analogrules

Just curious if the majority of these businesses using FRS radios are using a PL? Do these new FRS radios that Home Depot sell have a custom PL pre-set for all its channels by default?

n1das

Just curious if the majority of these businesses using FRS radios are using a PL? Do these new FRS radios that Home Depot sell have a custom PL pre-set for all its channels by default?

Business users probably have no more of a clue about CTCSS/PL tones and DCS/DPL codes than kids with FRS bubble packs do.

I've seen DeWalt branded ruggedized 22-channel FRS radios at (The) Home Depot. I forget the exact DeWalt model off the top of my head but you could find it online with a Google search and check out the owner's manual document to find the default settings. DeWalt also sells a multi-unit charger accessory for them. I've looked at them at (The) Home Depot in the past and they appear to be rugged radios and can take a beating.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I've never had Chick-fil-A. Maybe I should try some with a side of drive-thru chatter if I'm lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.