• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Chick-fil-A on GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

The local CFA near me has been using Arcshell/Graeval/Baofeng BF-888S CCRs on the factory default frequencies. The most commonly used freq has been 462.325MHz and is not GMRS or FRS. Most likely unlicensed too.

My wife and I did the drive-thru at this same CFA today. It looks like they got what they paid for with the CCRs. When we were last at this CFA, I noticed several of the CCRs had the jacket come off the antennas and the coiled spring making up the helical antenna was exposed. The radios looked rather beat up too. I think they junked their CCRs because today I noticed them using Retevis RT22 FRS radios. I found them on 462.6375MHz (FRS 4) using 131.8Hz CTCSS/PL.

The RT22 FRS radios should hold up better given that the antenna is not exposed and built into the case but they still are CCRs nonetheless.

Analogrules

Business users probably have no more of a clue about CTCSS/PL tones and DCS/DPL codes than kids with FRS bubble packs do.

I've seen DeWalt branded ruggedized 22-channel FRS radios at (The) Home Depot. I forget the exact DeWalt model off the top of my head but you could find it online with a Google search and check out the owner's manual document to find the default settings. DeWalt also sells a multi-unit charger accessory for them. I've looked at them at (The) Home Depot in the past and they appear to be rugged radios and can take a beating.

Yes, I am just curious if those radios they sell at Home Depot, Walmart, etc.. have the FRS channels pre-programmed with a specific PL or not?

wtp

they do the same thing here in port charlotte.
it is fun to listen to them as they think 'private' line means private.
they are on a different frequency that i don't remember right now.
i use a pro 164 that has FRS/GMRS/MURS and default CCR freqs in it.

Reconrider

they do the same thing here in port charlotte.
it is fun to listen to them as they think 'private' line means private.
they are on a different frequency that i don't remember right now.
i use a pro 164 that has FRS/GMRS/MURS and default CCR freqs in it.
Mind linking the CCR defaults? I don't have them added yet

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I've seen some places using baofengs on the random frequency it comes with. Mostly lately Applebee's, and chili's where before they'd use the bubble pack frs or gmrs

n1das

I've seen some places using baofengs on the random frequency it comes with. Mostly lately Applebee's, and chili's where before they'd use the bubble pack frs or gmrs

I've spotted Baofeng UV-5R handhelds in use by Walmart* employees on a few occasions. I'm not sure what freq they come on right out of the box, I think 146.0000 simplex on CSQ, right smack in the middle of the 2m Ham band. Usually they have them set up to work with Walmart*'s Motorola MURS radios.

The CFA in my area is now legal given that they are using FRS with FCC-certified FRS equipment (Retevis RT22).

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I've spotted Baofeng UV-5R handhelds in use by Walmart* employees on a few occasions. I'm not sure what freq they come on right out of the box, I think 146.0000 simplex on CSQ, right smack in the middle of the 2m Ham band. Usually they have them set up to work with Walmart*'s Motorola MURS radios.

The CFA in my area is now legal given that they are using FRS with FCC-certified FRS equipment (Retevis RT22).

Per another discussion elsewhere, they're not basic UV-5R radios. That discussion indicated they were a BTech variant on the MURS frequencies that all Walmart stores use.

Status
Not open for further replies.