Chico, CA - State investigates Chico police's problematic radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
"telephone lines that are more than 20 years old and do not meet the demands of narrowbanding"

Um.....ok. The "sensitivity" settings for the towers comment bothered me, but the narrowband wireline statement just did me in.

I have never dealt with Day Wireless, and I understand they are a huge vendor out there. I just can't see such a large vendor making this type of statement. Hopefully it's a misprint, but if it isn't...this bothers me.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The cops don't typically understand how radio works technically, they just know they're having problems. The media knows even less. I'm surprised they didn't talk about their transition to digital as being part of the problem (after looking in the database and seeing they run DPL). LOL

High band isn't great for building penetration. Hopefully they can solve their problems with more voting receivers, more power, passive repeaters or Radiax in the hospital... Lots of solutions out there. All it takes is money.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I don't know if it's because of a poorly written article or what, but "Officers are unable to hear radio transmissions from dispatch or other officers." Which means it ain't the freaking telco. It's the radio. It looks like Chico uses VHF and UHF I wonder if it's because of VHF? Do fire fighters have the same problem talking inside buildings as they use UHF?

I can get out to a tower on GMRS which of course is UHF that is about 9 miles from me using only 1 watt inside my house!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chico PD

Considering that most telephone lines only carry audio, I'd sure like to hear an explanation of why 20 year old phone lines are not narrow-band compliant, etc.

I find it interesting that they are having problems locally since I am able to pick up their signals 90 miles away in Sacramento county. But I guess no one gets to hear what isn't working.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if it's because of a poorly written article or what, but "Officers are unable to hear radio transmissions from dispatch or other officers." Which means it ain't the freaking telco. It's the radio.

If it's a repeater and voted system and not "in cabinet repeat", the phone lines can certainly cause an issue with users not hearing each other on the same site.
(Not saying that is the problem here, just pointing out that phone lines can affect user-user transmissions).

wuzafuzz

I visit Chico frequently. Covering that town should be EASY.

There will always be a dead spot here and there, no matter what band or super duper linking/trunking/interop/fantasy/mega-expensive technology is in place. Some buildings are Faraday cages. That's life. Professionals can deal with that.

As for the complaint about cops having to use hand signals....if they could SEE one another they could have used simplex. Just sayin'. Either they need some super remedial training or that part of the story is pure B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.